You’re not likely to find another company like Vermeer. Our people are from all walks of life in locations around the world, rolling up our sleeves and getting tough work done every day. Together. We’re a family-owned and operated company with an unmatched culture, one that is built on the belief that every Vermeer team member has real, personal impact – on our people, our customers and our world. Whoever you are and where you are in your career, Vermeer helps you be Equipped to Do More®.
The Systems Engineer applies in-depth knowledge of customer needs, industry requirements and multiple technologies to specify, architect, develop, test and debug moderately complex control systems for Vermeer products. This position likely leads others to work across a range of engineering disciplines to complete requirements and tradeoff analysis, develop algorithms and architectures, review product design, and conduct product debug and testing.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
1. Lead by exhibiting the Vermeer characteristics of caring culture, demonstrating agility, customer focused and stewardship while modeling the associated behaviors. Supervise, organize, mentor and coach assigned team members in performance of their duties while influencing others to carry the Vermeer culture forward. Establish and monitor individual and team goals which are aligned with the organization’s strategies and objectives to drive key business results. Use expertise to ensure department is serving its internal and external customers and meeting defined expectations.
2. Develop, analyze, integrate, test, and debug moderately complex control systems for Vermeer products, including responsibility for the high-level system architecture and performing trade-off analysis for design approaches.
3. Assist with gathering customer needs and translating these into detailed control system requirements. Lead the definition, analysis and allocation of requirements across the various engineering areas, along with developing machine-level testing approaches and procedures.
4. Provide technical leadership for moderately complex development projects, including task assignments, mentoring, and managing electrical and embedded software engineers.
5. Provide technical support to other departments, including procurement, production and service.
Education and/or Experience
– Bachelor’s degree in Engineering in the field of Systems, Computer Science, Software Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Agricultural Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Electronics, or Machine Control.
– Minimum of 4 years’ experience in software, electronics and/or machine controls design; and/or equivalent combination of education and experience required.
– Proficient in developing control system requirements using a variety of methods, including visual modeling tools, control diagrams, schematics, C or other embedded programming languages.
– Strong preference for experience with model-based design tools, such as MathWorks MATLAB and visual programming environments, such as MathWorks Simulink, National Instruments LabVIEW and/or Danfoss PLUS+1 GUIDE.
– High proficiency in Microsoft Office products.
Other Skills and Abilities
– Knowledge in control system theory and applications. Preferred knowledge in the control system design for off road vehicles, CAN and J1939 protocols.
– Ability to apply advanced mathematical concepts to the development of moderately complex control systems algorithms.
– Experience in human-factors related to machine controls and ability to in the design and testing of Human-Machine Interface and Virtual Instrument components and controls.
– Proven ability to understand needs of customer and incorporate into function of machine.
– Strong ability to analyze, develop and write specifications that direct the development of the controls system for medium complexity products.
– Familiarity with Agile software development methodologies.
– Knowledge in the areas of electronic and hydraulics controls, including engines, actuators, sensors, wiring harnesses and safety systems.
– Experience with test equipment such as power supplies, oscilloscopes, and signal generators.
– Ability to maintain a positive, professional relationship when working with co-workers, customers and the public.
– Ability to communicate timely, accurately and effectively, both orally and in writing documents.
– Ability to prioritize multiple tasks while maintaining a high level of attention to detail.
– Ability to lead others that do not report to the position to produce results, including technicians and production personnel.
Certificates, Licenses, Registration
PE License Preferred
Up to 10% domestic and/or international travel by car or plane may be required.
ONSITE: A team member’s day-to-day work is best done on a Vermeer campus. If work content can be occasionally completed at an offsite location, discuss potential arrangements with your manager.