The purpose of this role is primarily for the design and development of systems for delivering Laboratory operation and data analytics platforms to commercial customers. Overall, the role is intended to assure systems are specified, designed, developed, and delivered to meet standards and requirements for high quality and optimal customer experience. A key concept behind this role is that in this Genetics Operations environment, developers should have a thorough understanding of business processes and their associated requirements, in addition to expert development skills. This is a small team of highly motivated professionals, and the team size does not allow for a specialization of pure development that is decoupled from the concerns of business analysis. Thus this role has an “analyst” component, which is essential to identifying or refining business requirements and translating them into technical solutions.
In addition to code development, this role will be expected to contribute to the system/component specification, design, and quality testing. Key activities include contributing to or authoring business and user requirements, system design, business process design technical documentation, and business and user documentation, and test script development.
The primary responsibility for this role will be in design and development. The role will be expected to innovate by finding creative approaches to automation of workflows, user interfaces, and back end computing. Expertise in developing solutions capable of processing very large data sets efficiently is essential. Database skills, including fluency in developing efficient SQL, stored procedure development, and performance troubleshooting and tuning are essential. MS-SQL is the most prevalent RDBMS in this space, but Postgres skills are also desirable. Currently the most relevant development stack is .NET, with C# , Alteryx and Power BI used for new development, but there exists significant legacy code in Visual Basic that must be supported and enhanced. There are also significant portions of the back-end system running on a Linux platform, with development in C#.NET, C++, Python, and Bash. The environment is evolving towards Java, Python, and Postgres in a cloud-based (both AWS and Azure) environment. Both Windows and Linux operating systems are in use.
The individual in this role will follow the Zoetis software development lifecycle , working collaboratively with other developers, analysts, and business professionals. The ideal candidate will have excellent communication, analysis, and documentation skills, with an ability to begin with a high level requirement and through progressive refinement, to define and deliver a solution. Effective and verbal and written communication skills are essential for collaboration with business stakeholders and technical team members, using business or technical language as appropriate to each audience.
This role also has a support component. The role will be responsible for providing knowledge transfer to the support / analytics team, and providing support directly for issues that the support / analytics team is unable to address. The person in this role may also be expected to take on other productions support assignments, especially for hypercare after production deployments.
This role will be a member of the product and systems development team and liaise with a broad number of personnel from the quality, IT, customer support, laboratory operations and other product delivery groups to understand end-user requirements and ensure operations documentation is complete and accurate prior to launch of a new system/component, process or product.
- Exhibit conduct consistent with the Zoetis Mission, Vision, and Core Beliefs –
- Always do the right thing;
- Our colleagues makes the difference;
- Run it like you own it;
- Customer obsessed;
- One Zoetis
- Perform duties in a safe manner. Maintain safe and clean working environment by complying with procedures, rules, and regulations. Perform duties according to standard operating procedures (SOPs), ensure that required data is properly documented in a timely fashion according to the current SOPs;
- Report deviations from SOPs, or unexpected results in a timely fashion, in accordance with the organisation’s CAPA (corrective action, preventative action) SOPs;
- Work collaboratively with other employees to schedule work and ensure its completion;
- Contribute ideas and participates in initiatives that will lead to continuous improvement of procedures (efficiency and quality);
- Deliver solutions according to agreed project timelines, taking the initiative to drive the outcomes requested by the business and ITS management.
- Develop and support systems in the .NET/MS-SQL/ PowerBI / Alteryx stack, including troubleshooting, bug fixes, and enhancements.
- Transition to development and support of systems in the Java/Python/Postgres stack
- Define / document robust business system requirements. A variety of tools and techniques are used, including user stories, interviews, observation, workflow/process/data modelling / analysis.
- Analyze requirements to develop solution designs, working with stakeholders in the business and IT.
- Translate business requirements into data design requirements and subsequent data models.
- Develop, implement, and maintain computing solutions and databases that meet requirements.
- Manage the communication of requirements, expectations and priorities between time zones and teams in a manner which optimizes resource usage and minimizes turnaround times.
- Ensure that requirements are addressed in the solution and that the solution is tested adequately.
- Create and maintain system development lifecycle documentation.
- Participate in and/or drive problem investigation and resolution.
- Participate in continuous improvement activities aimed at reducing cycle times, eliminating redundancies and increasing throughput.
- Collaborate and coordinate with other developers, including onsite and offshore managed service partners
- Document the operational user stories and standard operating procedures for system enhancements and new products. This documentation is expected to be high quality and appropriate for use by operations personnel (customer support and laboratory operations);
- Aid in the generation and execution of corrective and preventative actions stemming from system issues & errors.
- Bachelor’s degree, ideally in Computer Science, Information Systems, Engineering, or Science
- 4+ years relevant software development experience, ideally with Laboratory, Life Sciences, and/or Customer Service applications, using Visual Studio / C# / Visual Basic /ASP.NET /ADO.NET / Power BI / Alteryx
- 2+ years experience collecting, analyzing, and documenting requirements
- Strong experience in database development using SQL Server, including excellent SQL and T-SQL skills
- Proven ability to translate business requirements into solutions that map to technology capabilities.
- Solid verbal and written communication skills with the ability to express complex technical concepts in business terms
- Strong analytical problem-solving skills
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to work effectively and collaboratively on cross-functional project teams or individually, as needed
- Proven success in delivering computing solutions
- Ability to transform data in files or databases
- Ability to take direction and to complete tasks with minimal direction
- Ability to prioritize issues and drive progress in ambiguous situations
- Git and/or Team Foundation Server
- Windows development and scripting
- Linux development and scripting using Bash and/or Python
- Both Windows and Linux operating system expertise
- Power BI or other BI tools
- Amazon AWS Services
- Genetics and/or bioinformatics
- Experience in multiple SDLC methodologies including Waterfall and Agile
- Expert in the use of JIRA and Confluence to support SDLC, especially testing and defect tracking
- Mathematical/Statistical background