As part of Zoetis, Performance Livestock Analytics is a fast growing team based in Ames, Iowa which leads innovation in smart livestock management. We’re building services that improve beef traceability, help farmers manage their daily cattle feeding operations, track animals, and identify and treat sick animals promptly. Our services span the web, iOS, Android, and specialized hardware, using the cloud to communicate and store data. The engineering team primarily works from home and is well adapted to accommodate candidates located anywhere in the US with reliable internet service. The development environment is a Unix stack on AWS, consisting of FreeBSD, Linux, PHP, Go, RabbitMQ, MongoDB, MySQL, and Git, along with iOS and Android apps.
This opening is for a software engineer seeking to develop Android apps in Kotlin. The project focus is to author, review, and deploy fixes and new capabilities in coordination with website and API development. Responsibilities include:
Develop code for new project requirements.
- Collaborate with other project engineers on improvements to overall project design.
- Develop automated test cases to improve long term viability of codebase.
- Discover and propose new techniques and technologies for better project design
- Work closely with upper-level engineers to advance professional development.
The best candidates will have most of these:
- Desire and skill for app development in Android.
- Experience with database tools such as SQLite, MySQL, MongoDB, or RealmDB.
- Experience with relevant network protocols, such as HTTP and RabbitMQ.
- Daily experience in the Unix software stack and command line interface.
- Experience collaborating with other engineers through source control, code review, design discussion, documentation, and video conferencing.
Bachelor’s or associate’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience.