The Senior Manager of Commercial Contracts is a key role in the Sales Operations team that is responsible for contract management, commercial term drafting, and redlines that will drive growth while ensuring alignment with Workiva business objectives. This role partners with Legal, Accounting, and other Sales Operations departments (Deal Desk and Commercial Strategy) to support our Sales and Professional Services teams in drafting order documents and Master Agreements. This role interfaces with both our internal cross-functional stakeholders as well as our customers to share expertise and creatively address our customers’ challenges and empower our customers to rapidly grow through innovative solutions.
Contract Management, Commercial Term Drafting, and Redlines
- Collaborates with Sales, Deal Desk and Commercial Strategy teams in driving business-critical contract negotiations, redline activities, and internal and external objection handling
- Advises Deal Desk, Commercial Strategy, and Sales on commercial terms, redlines, and contract language
- Liaises between Deal Desk, Commercial Strategy, Sales, Accounting, and Legal by providing guidance on commonly requested edits, non-standard terms, policies, and frequently asked questions
- Partners with Deal Desk, Commercial Strategy, Accounting, and Legal to develop order documents, Master Agreements, and related best practices
- Manages the ownership and improvement of the commercial terms library, which houses all commercial terms, levers, approval requirements, and internal and external objection handling
Leadership and Mentorship
- Trains, mentors, and coaches internal teams on the contract process, commercial term best practices, internal and external objection handling, and customer-specific guidelines for unique situations
- Manages the development and maintenance of the commercial term playbook including best practices and customer-specific guidelines for unique commercial terms and/or order document formats
- Partners with Deal Desk to expedite required approvals with Legal, Accounting, and other stakeholders for pricing adjustments, nonstandard commercial terms, and order document delivery
- Inspires and influences internal stakeholders and approvers to remove obstacles in order to achieve desired business outcomes with short turnaround times
- Facilitates alignment through effective communication within internal and external stakeholders and promptly resolves any conflict to encourage productive and positive interactions
- As business needs grow, will recruit, coach/manage, evaluate, and develop a team of direct reports
Process Improvement and Analytics
- Partners with Commercial Strategy and Deal Desk to enhance the commercial terms library with a focus on standardizing terms, levers, and approval requirements
- Collaborates with teammates and various internal cross-functional stakeholders to develop an internal and external objection handling playbook and talk track for common requests
- Provides analytics to Sales/SalesOps management on contractual data to drive business thought and decision making
- Continuously works with Legal, Deal Desk, Commercial Strategy, and Accounting to enhance the contract process and related automations
- Facilitates regular updates and maintenance to contractual templates and works with Business Operations and IT on automation enhancements
- Project management of ad hoc projects and projects as required
- Partners with Sales/SalesOps leadership, Deal Desk, Commercial Strategy, and Legal to prioritize key deals and ensure deal closure
What You’ll Need
- Undergraduate Degree or equivalent combination of education and experience in a related field.
- MBA or MS or JD preferred
- Strong listening, written, and verbal communication skills with ability to synthesize and effectively articulate concepts to internal and external cross-functional stakeholders at all levels
- Ability to remain courteous and professional even during high-stress end-of-quarter deal negotiations
- Strong organizational and time management skills with ability to work autonomously, set priorities, meet deadlines, and manage multiple projects in a fast-paced, changing environment while exercising sound business judgement and with minimal supervision
- Can quickly identify gaps, problem solve, and then find creative and sustainable solutions
- Solid customer-facing analytical and negotiation skills
- Dedicated to excellent customer service while managing multiple priorities with short turnaround times
- Ability to be open and honest in communications with all stakeholders – customers and internal stakeholders including but not limited to Sales, Deal Desk, Legal, Accounting, and senior management
- 8+ years in contract management, drafting commercial terms, reviewing redlines, and redlining customer paper as related to Master Agreements and Sales Orders including customer-facing interactions
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Google Docs, and/or Google Sheets
- Experience supporting remote and local Enterprise SaaS sales teams
- Experience with both direct B2B sales models and tiered channel partnership models
- Experience working with remote cross-functional teams such as Legal, Finance, Product
- Working knowledge of ASC 606 Revenue Accounting guidelines
- CLM experience required
- Salesforce CRM experience and Salesforce CPQ experience preferred
- Less than 10% travel
Working Conditions & Physical Requirements
- Reliable internet access for any period of time working remotely, not in a Workiva office.
How You’ll Be Rewarded
- Base Pay Range in Colorado: $146,000 – $186,000
- A discretionary bonus typically paid annually
- Restricted Stock Units granted at time of hire
The base pay range represents the low and high end of the hiring range for this job. Actual pay will vary and may be above or below the range based on various factors including but not limited to relevant skills, experience, and capabilities.
Where You’ll Work
Our values drive how we work and who we hire. You will see these values ingrained in how we support our customers, work with team members, build our products and in the work environment we’ve created.
- Customer Success: Always delight our customers.
- Trust: Rely on each other.
- Integrity: Do the right thing, every time.
- Collaboration: Share resources and work together.
- Innovation: Keep creating solutions and finding better ways.
- Inclusion: Support a diverse community where we all belong.
- Accountability: Be responsible for your success and failure.
We believe our people are our greatest asset, and our unique culture gives employees the opportunity to make an impact everyday. We give our employees the freedom and resources they need—backed by our culture of collaboration and diverse thought—to continue innovating and breaking new ground. We hire talented people with a wide range of skills and experiences who are eager to tackle some of today’s most challenging problems.
At Workiva, you’ll enjoy:
- Fantastic Benefits: With coverage starting day one, choose from competitive health, dental, and vision plans on the largest physician networks available.
- Casual Dress: Workiva has a casual work environment, most people wear jeans to the office.
- Involvement: Ability to participate in Employee Resource Groups, (Women in Tech, Women in Sales, Ethnic Diversity, Veterans, Rainbow (LGBTQ), Remote Employees, Caregiving) Volunteering, Company wide celebrations, and more
- Work-life Balance: We have competitive PTO, VTO and Parental Leave. We encourage employees to spend time enjoying life outside of work.
Learn more: https://www.workiva.com/careers/benefits
Workiva is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We believe that great minds think differently. We value diversity of backgrounds, beliefs, and interests, and we recognize diversity as an important source of intellectual thought, varied perspective, and innovation. Employment decisions are made without regard to age, race, creed, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, disability status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression genetic information, marital status, citizenship status or any other protected characteristic.
Workiva is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. To request assistance with the application process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.