The Senior Engineer – Embedded Software applies broad, in-depth knowledge of software engineering industry best practices, standards and technologies to develop, integrate, test, and debug embedded software for high complexity machine control systems. This position leads others to create complex software systems, analyze software requirements, and develop algorithms, architecture, and code for real-time and non-real time systems.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
1. Exhibit the Vermeer characteristics of caring culture, demonstrating agility, customer focused and stewardship while modeling the associated behaviors.
2. Develop, integrate, test, and debug highly complex embedded hardware for Vermeer machine control systems, including supporting production and service.
3. Provide technical leadership, design reviews and assessments for high-complexity systems, including managing and mentoring less-experienced engineers. May include leading direct reports.
4. Lead the definition, analysis and allocation of software requirements, along with developing machine-level testing approaches and procedures.
5. Ability to execute software releases per Vermeer’s ECN and FCN processes.
Education and/or Experience
– 4-year college degree with a major in Mechanical, Industrial, Agriculture or Electrical Engineering with a minimum of 8 years’ related experience.
– Or other college degree (2-year or 4-year) with a minimum of 14 years’ related experience.
– Master’s degree preferred.
– High level of proficiency in C, C++, C# and/or other programming languages, including a demonstrated ability to use source code editors, IDEs, compilers, and other specialized engineering software.
– Experience with visual programming environments, such as MathWorks Simulink, National Instruments LabVIEW and/or Danfoss PLUS+1 GUIDE.
– High level of proficiency with a model-based system and software design in MathWorks MATLAB/Simulink environment.
Other Skills and Abilities
– Expert-level knowledge in control system theory and applications.
– Knowledge in the control system design for off road vehicles, CAN, J1939 protocols and analysis tools.
– Ability to design, test, and implement Human-Machine Interface and Virtual Instrument components and controls.
– Strong ability to understand needs of customer and incorporate into function of machine.
– Ability to analyze, develop and write specifications that direct software code development.
– Experience with Agile software development methodologies with the ability to mentor and lead an agile team.
– Knowledge in the areas of electronic circuits, microcontroller architectures, and principles of operation.
– Ability to maintain a positive, professional relationship when working with co-workers, customers and the public.
– Ability to communicate timely and effectively, both orally and in writing documents.
– Ability to prioritize multiple tasks for self and others, while maintaining a high level of attention to detail.
– Proven ability to lead others that do not report to the position to produce results, including technicians and production personnel.
Up to 10% domestic and/or international travel by car or plane may be required.
HYBRID: Some of a team member’s day-to-day work may be best done at a location other than a Vermeer campus. Discuss specific arrangements with your manager.