To lead vaccine research for viral diseases of swine, including discovery of newly emerging swine viruses and providing guidance for rapid disease control response in collaboration with the transboundary and emerging viral disease team.
To build an unparalleled external network to ensure rapid adoption of relevant new technologies and ensure that BI is the preferred partner when external researchers develop new platform technologies or novel sub-unit-based vaccine candidates.
As an employee of Boehringer Ingelheim, you will actively contribute to the discovery, development and delivery of our products to our patients and customers. Our global presence provides opportunity for all employees to collaborate internationally, offering visibility and opportunity to directly contribute to the companies’ success. We realize that our strength and competitive advantage lie with our people. We support our employees in a number of ways to foster a healthy working environment, meaningful work, diversity and inclusion, mobility, networking and work-life balance. Our competitive compensation and benefit programs reflect Boehringer Ingelheim’s high regard for our employees.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Independently initiates and coordinates strategic scientific experiments with a predefined goal including developing new methodologies, protocols and/or test procedures that contribute to core group/research goals and reflect expert knowledge. Directs and oversee experimental study design and data analysis/results of scientists and technicians working on new and innovative vaccine concepts for vaccines against viral diseases of swine. Identifies needs and plans discovery activities in finding holistic vaccine development strategies against multi-factorial respiratory disease complexes, in collaboration with bacterial discovery and clinical teams.
- Develops an understanding of viral vaccine team goals and works effectively toward achieving them. Assumes departmental responsibility for projects within multi-disciplinary international development Core Teams for the effective development of viral vaccine projects.
- Interacts with Project Leaders within the Core Team in reporting of project progress, including budgetary responsibilities to steering committees. Analyzes, plans, manages, and evaluates new approaches for viral vaccines. Lead all aspects of swine viral vaccine research strategy and drive its implementation to support POC studies.
- Prepares clear technical reports, publications and oral presentations. Independently communicates results in the form of reports and/or presentations. Presents responsibly and defends own work at meetings. May deliver updates to senior-level management in context of overall project goals. Contributes and presents project related topics within designated R&D forums.
- Provide strategic input to the head of viral diseases vaccine research related to project identification, status and prioritization. Manage the drafting and execution of contracts with external academic and research institute partners, working closely with Legal, Intellectual Property and Business Development. Support IP protection of novel research findings and publish and present research results in alignment with the objectives of Boehringer Ingelheim Animal Health’s publication policy.
- Develops expertise in a specific project-relevant area or technology. Provides guidance and expertise to advance specific projects or evaluate and propose new technologies and concepts in support of multiple projects. Independently prepares discovery project proposals, including resource planning, for viral vaccine projects. Oversees progression of candidate vaccine evaluation and ensures a smooth transition to development phase.
- Assumes responsibility for direct reports, as needed including recruiting, managing, mentoring and developing scientific staff. Provide leadership in the viral vaccine research lab as it develops over time and train additional team members. Oversee the guidelines for viral vaccine research activities. Promote, inspire, and support a culture of scientific inquiry and discovery, building a learning culture that delivers scientific excellence. Communicates the big picture of the main task frequently and provide role clarity.
- Keeps abreast of relevant literature. Develops visibility outside of functional area and effectively interacts scientifically with Key Opinion Leaders (KOL) in swine viral vaccine research. Effectively liaises internally with cross-functional stakeholders (Sales & Marketing, Legal, Finance, Operations), to communicate and align expectations. Establishes and maintains a network of external experts for vaccine research against viral diseases of swine in general, and respiratory diseases complex in particular. Scouts partnership and co—funding opportunities with government agencies to support external collaborations. Interacts closely with bacterial disease vaccine research and other internal and/or external resources to deliver novel solutions to respiratory disease complexes of swine.
- Complies with all applicable regulations. Ensures that work performed in area of responsibility is conducted in a safe and compliant manner. Maintains proper records in accordance with SOPs and policies.
- Contributes to departmental administration; demonstrates fiscal responsibility with respect to cost of experiments/studies, technology, external collaborations and travel. Manages annual budget, including internal and external resources and follows internal processes to execute financial responsibilities.
- For facilities, projects and processes under your responsibility:
- Ensure laboratory facility and equipment are well maintained, adequately budgeted and secure.
- Stay current with policies and SOPs regarding safe operations in the laboratory. Ensure laboratory scientists are also well trained and up-to-date with respect to safety and handling of infectious agents.
- Ensure compliance with all relevant corporate, national and local authority regulations
- Ensure IT system not managed by IT is secure and backed-up.
- Veterinary Degree or a degree in biological science + PhD in Virology or a related discipline from an accredited institution.
- Minimum of 10 years of industry related experience where hands-on’ experience in vaccine development research is required.
- Experience in vaccine research in the field of respiratory infections (viral and/or bacterial) or immunology is preferred.
- Supervisory experience and working in project teams is required.
- An in-depth knowledge in viral infection of animals integrating diverse aspects of the host-pathogen interactions under one umbrella with a proven ability to identify and implement groundbreaking vaccine development solutions.
- A thorough understanding of host-pathogen interactions with expertise in translational and clinical development of vaccination programs against respiratory disease complexes of swine.
- Broad understanding of animal diseases and their pathophysiology is required.
- Track record of developing and implementing vaccine strategies for discovery and/or clinical development programs is preferred.
- Strong communication skills (oral/written) in English is mandatory.
- A proven track-record of peer-reviewed publications, patents and presentations at conferences.
- Ability to clearly articulate scientific and operational concepts of vaccine research across functions, levels, and disciplines.
- Good planning, prioritization, problem solving, and organizational skills.
- Able to challenge to the status quo and search for creative solutions that can improve the way of doing things.
- Passionate and talented with proven ability to motivate others to do their best.
- A willingness to travel internationally, adaptability and sense of accountability are required.
Desired Experience, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to communicate in French is beneficial.
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States without restriction.
- Must be willing to take a drug test and post-offer physical (if required).
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
Who We Are:
At Boehringer Ingelheim we create value through innovation with one clear goal: to improve the lives of patients. We develop breakthrough therapies and innovative healthcare solutions in areas of unmet medical need for both humans and animals. As a family owned company we focus on long term performance. We are powered by 50.000 employees globally who nurture a diverse, collaborative and inclusive culture. Learning and development for all employees is key because your growth is our growth.
Want to learn more? Visit boehringer-ingelheim.com and join us in our effort to make more health.
Boehringer Ingelheim, including Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals, Inc., Boehringer Ingelheim USA, Boehringer Ingelheim Animal Health USA Inc., Boehringer Ingelheim Animal Health Puerto Rico LLC and Boehringer Ingelheim Fremont, Inc. is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race; color; creed; religion; national origin; age; ancestry; citizenship status, marital, domestic partnership or civil union status; gender, gender identity or expression; affectional or sexual orientation; pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition; physical or psychiatric disability; veteran or military status; domestic violence victim status; genetic information (including the refusal to submit to genetic testing) or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Job – Research & Development
Primary Location – Americas-US-IA-Ames
Organization – US-Boehringer Ingelheim Animal Health
Schedule – Full-time
View page here