Conduct research for bacterial diseases of animals that provide solutions including novel entities for treatment and control of bacterial diseases in multiple species.
The incumbent is accountable for increasing the understanding of the host immune responses to microbial insult and immunological disease mechanisms and pathogenesis and virulence mechanisms of bacteria, contributing to the discovery and the development of novel entities to control and prevent bacteria and their diseases in animals. They will be responsible for the design, interpretation and presentation of experiments that have a new, novel design or new technologies as well as perform studies that follow established approaches.
The incumbent will be a part of a highly innovative, collaborative and expanding research team that is working together to deliver the next generation of solutions to prevent and control bacterial diseases (vaccines, pharmaceutical or biopharmaceutical agents) building a market leading R&D pipeline addressing customers’ needs towards bacterial diseases of animals.
As an employee of Boehringer Ingelheim, you will actively contribute to the discovery, development and delivery of our products to our patients and customers. Our global presence provides opportunity for all employees to collaborate internationally, offering visibility and opportunity to directly contribute to the companies’ success. We realize that our strength and competitive advantage lie with our people. We support our employees in a number of ways to foster a healthy working environment, meaningful work, diversity and inclusion, mobility, networking and work-life balance. Our competitive compensation and benefit programs reflect Boehringer Ingelheim’s high regard for our employees.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Initiates, designs, interprets accurately, troubleshoots and completes routine procedures independently and efficiently; initiates, designs, interprets accurately, troubleshoots and completes non-routine and difficult procedures generally without supervision; Initiates and conducts exploratory experiments.
- Proposes, gains support for and implements ideas from individual’s knowledge of science and technology and understanding of research and development process.
- Proposes, evaluates and implements new technologies; independently applies basic scientific principles, performs literature searches, attends scientific meetings, and keeps abreast of literature in own field.
- Effectively communicates and defends own work, orally and in writing, in the context of the company and team goals at meetings.
- Demonstrates a contemporary level of technical proficiency in field; trains technicians and junior level scientists in this field.
- Reports and treats data with a high level of integrity and ethics.
- Complies with applicable regulations, performing all work in a safe manner; Maintains proper records in accordance with SOPs and policies.
- Participate in cross departmental project teams when assigned.
- Ensure laboratory facility and equipments are well maintained.
- Stay current with policies and SOPs regarding safe operations in the laboratory. Ensure laboratory technicians are well trained and up-to-date with respect to safety and handling of infectious agents.
- Ensure compliance with all relevant corporate, national and local authority regulations.
Scientist IV Requirements:
- PhD from an accredited institution in Immunology or Bacterial Pathogenesis with two (2) years of experience in a related scientific discipline; Or
- Master’s Degree from an accredited institution with a minimum of six (6) years of experience in a related scientific discipline; Or
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited institution with minimum of ten (10) years of experience in a related field.
- A background in Immunology and vaccine or therapeutic development is required.
- Experiences in Immunology and Pathogenesis is essential.
- Familiarity with CVB vaccine development requirements.
- Ability to function in multi-disciplinary teams is required.
- Ability to create written scientific reports and protocols, and strong verbal communication skills are required.
- Ability to clearly articulate scientific and operational concepts of vaccine research across functions.
- The role requires highly motivated, dependable and well-organized individual who is able to operate with minimal supervision.
Senior Scientist Requirements:
- Ph.D. from an accredited institution in Bacteriology, Immunology, Veterinary Medicine, Infectious diseases or related field with minimum of seven (7) years of broad experience in a related field with proven track record of implementing or investigating technologies at a global level.
- DVM or equivalent preferred.
- Minimum two (2) years of pharmaceutical industry experience preferred.
- Supervisory experience (preferred) and working in project teams is required.
- Experience in bacteriology, Immunology, bacterial genetics, genomics, biomarkers, molecular techniques, and the ability to translate this knowledge into successful bacterial vaccine and therapeutic candidates and disease control approaches is essential.
- A background in Immunology and vaccine or therapeutic research is required.
- Contemporary and demonstrated knowledge of the bacterial immunology, genetics, molecular biology and metabolism of bacteria and their associated diseases.
- Familiarity with vaccine and therapeutic development requirements – consistent with International Standards e.g. US: CVB and EU: Ph. Eur. requirements
- Ability to function in multi-disciplinary teams is required.
- Ability to build scientifically robust hypothesis and design experiments to test it, create written scientific reports and protocols, and strong verbal communication skills are required.
- Ability to clearly articulate scientific and operational concepts of vaccine and therpautic research.
- Excellent abilities to create written scientific reports and protocols, and strong verbal communication skills are required.
- A proven track-record of peer-reviewed publications, patents and presentations at conferences. Ability to clearly articulate scientific and operational concepts of bacterial disease research across functions.
- Good planning, prioritization, problem solving, and organizational skills.
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States without restriction.
- Must be willing to take a drug test and post-offer physical (if required).
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- This position will require individuals to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or have an approved medical or religious accommodation. Click here for more information on the vaccine mandate and COVID-19.
Who We Are:
At Boehringer Ingelheim we create value through innovation with one clear goal: to improve the lives of patients. We develop breakthrough therapies and innovative healthcare solutions in areas of unmet medical need for both humans and animals. As a family owned company we focus on long term performance. We are powered by 50.000 employees globally who nurture a diverse, collaborative and inclusive culture. Learning and development for all employees is key because your growth is our growth.
Want to learn more? Visit boehringer-ingelheim.com and join us in our effort to make more health.
Boehringer Ingelheim is an equal opportunity global employer who takes pride in maintaining a diverse and inclusive culture. We embrace diversity of perspectives and strive for an inclusive environment, which benefits our employees, patients and communities. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to a person’s actual or perceived race, including natural hairstyles, hair texture and protective hairstyles; color; creed; religion; national origin; age; ancestry; citizenship status, marital status; gender, gender identity or expression; sexual orientation, mental, physical or intellectual disability, veteran status; pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition; genetic information (including the refusal to submit to genetic testing) or any other class or characteristic protected by applicable law.
– Research & Development
– US-Boehringer Ingelheim Animal Health