A Row Crop manger would be responsible for the overall management of 13,000+ acres of corn and soybeans along with leading a team up to ten or more employees. This position would be expected to provide direction and guidance to the overall success of the Row Crop department.
Essential Job Functions and Responsibilities:
- Update budgets annually including direct and indirect cost’s for crop production
- Perform cost control functions throughout the year to ensure row crop department adheres to established budget
- Make proposal’s for needed capital expenditures and procure approved proposals
- Develop annual crop plans
- Plan, purchase and receive all seed, fertilizer and chemicals on an annual basis
- Responsible for planting, crop protection applications, fertilization and harvesting of all Summit Agricultural Groups crops
- Oversee proper conditioning and storage of grain harvested
- Manage outside vendors that provide services to the row crop department
- Responsible for analysis of crop production metrics as well as financial information in order to drive improved decision making
- Propose and manage land improvement projects on land that Summit operates
- Provide direction to row crop team lead for maintenance and repair strategies to be carried out on row crop equipment
- Maintain relationships with existing key business partners and associates as well as develop new relationships that promote growth and continuous improvement of the row crop department
- Train new employees on standard operating procedures
- Operate row crop equipment when needed
- Other duties as assigned by Manager
- This position directly supervises full-time, part-time, seasonal and mid-level employees to execute the goals of the Row Crop Department.
- Coordinates with human resources to respond to employee concerns or
- Conducts performance evaluations that are timely and constructive
- Assists with the reviewing of applications, interview and the offering process to maintain staffing levels.
- Bachelor’s degree and/or any equivalent combination of education and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- 3+ years of experience in agricultural large scale production
- Ability to think critically about the Row Crop Department and build a business vision for future stainability and growth
- Adapt to quickly changing environments and challenging circumstances while leveraging employee talent and company resources
- This individual must have exceptional organizational skills, ability to prioritize and multi-task while presenting the company in a professional manner.
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Office, specifically Excel
- Class A CDL preferred, but not required
- This position will require tasks to be performed in outside weather conditions with the exposure to corn/bean debris and dust.
- This position will require some tasks to be performed within an office setting.
- This position will require the repetition movements such as bending, lifting, reaching and standing on hard services for extend periods of time and different hand movements as needed to complete tasks
- Required to stand; walk; sit; have use of both hands to utilize tools and controls along with the ability to climb stairs
- Ability to frequently lift or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift or move up to 50 pounds
- This position must have the ability to drive a vehicle for prolonged period of time
- This position must have the ability to sit for long periods of time and to maintain focus on projects such as computer screens or detailed paperwork.
- This position is full time with the availability to work weekends during Spring and Falls seasons while being available occasionally for non season weekend work and staffing challenges.
- Travel is primarily local during the day with the utilization of company vehicle.