The Product Manager establishes the strategic direction for a product line or group of product lines within a strategic business unit based upon information from market research, sales groups, customer input, conducting competitive and market analysis of the markets or product lines. This role supports the execution of business plan by delivering market research, product specifications and managing product release cycles. This position determines market position for the product line(s) and meeting revenue and profitability goals of the assigned product line(s) within the strategic business unit.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
1. Demonstrate the Vermeer characteristics of caring culture, demonstrating agility, customer focused, and stewardship and model the associated behaviors.
2. Manage the entire product life cycle including market evaluation using market research. Develop market growth strategies for product line(s) based on competitive market evaluation and analysis. Perform buy, build or partner analysis for potential products in the defined market segment.
3. Define product strategy and roadmap through creation of product specifications and product release cycle. Set pricing to meet revenue and profitability goals, create monthly revenue forecast, and create overall budget for the market/product line.
4. Plan, create and implement go to market plan and strategies through inter-departmental support teams i.e. sales, marketing, finance, purchasing, product safety, production, engineering, quality and technical support teams. Develop product position and message for the product line(s) considering competitive positioning and win/loss analysis.
5. Organize and attend meetings, focus groups, and tradeshows to represent product line(s). Visit current and potential customers to partake in Voice of Customer and dealer relations activities. Develop product portfolio and prioritize opportunities.
6. Evaluate ROI. Develop and present growth strategies to management and peers. Prioritize opportunities within the product portfolio to enhance market share and optimize profitability within the product line. Implement strategies to execute the product marketing plans to support the segment revenue goals.
7. Analyze potential partner relationships for the product. Manage alliance partners within the product segment.
Education and/or Experience
– Bachelor’s degree with a marketing, engineering, or business major.
– Minimum of 5 years of related experience including business and product development, research skills, and customer retention skills, preferred; and/or equivalent combination of education and experience, required.
Other Skills and Abilities
– Knowledge of market research and assessment, product strategy, business planning, project planning for all assigned products, sales planning and execution.
– Ability to effectively manage products and services strategy and vision to positively impact sales goals, thorough growth in market share and accurate determination of ROI.
– Ability to provide informative and professional assistance when working with the public/customers and co-workers.
– Ability to maintain positive interpersonal relationships, which encourage openness with customers and peers using exceptional reasoning and problem solving skills.
– Ability to produce accurate, professional and error free documents.
– Demonstration of good verbal and written communication skills. Solid coaching, listening and networking skills.
– Strong skills in reading technical documents, financial calculations, understanding industry trends and drivers, understanding of technical make up of products and services.
– Understanding of technology, ability to put plans together, ability to document reality and strategies in response to the knowledge of product development, financial and market considerations.
– Ability to handle confidential information, such as divisional and corporate P & L, product development plans, and budgets.
Up to 50% domestic and/or international travel by car or plane may be required.