A Product Manager is someone who has the experience to be the primary product owner for one or more product teams. Product Managers will be responsible for identifying the customer outcomes that their product team(s) work to achieve, and ensuring that the products delivered meet the needs of Workiva customers. Product Managers are expected to demonstrate competencies in the full product lifecycle from discovery to delivery including: customer discovery, leadership of the product team, product evangelism, management of their product (s) including prioritization of work and writing release notes for product releases, and management of relationships with key product stakeholders. Key accountabilities include establishing and tracking business metrics for their products. (e.g. Acquisition, Revenue, Retention, SLA, utilization, customer satisfaction, etc.)
Discovery: Engages internal Workiva experts and customers (new or prospective) to gain an understanding of key challenges that represent opportunities for Workiva products or solutions. Using this knowledge, the product manager collaborates with the product team and iteratively defines a solution ranging from a small feature enhancement to an entire product component.
- Meets with customers to identify customer needs and opportunities
- Gathers and considers feedback from a range of existing customers on whether new enhancements/ features/solutions will address their needs
- Meets with customers to validate features and walks through product iterations in the course of development to ensure product development is on track to meet customer needs
- Works closely with design to make sure features are usable and intuitive for our customers
- Works closely with lead engineer to ensure solution feasibility
- Acquires a deep expertise of their product, their customers, and the related domain(s)
- Document key use cases and personas to help the team understand the problems
- Creates story maps, roadmaps and other artifacts to provide context and direction to product teams and other stakeholders
- Ensures final product meets customer needs
Management of Product: Defines priority of outcomes, clarifies customer needs for the team, works with engineering to set deadlines for milestones, authors Objectives and Key Results (OKRs), and acts as a leader on their product team
- Acquires a deep expertise of their product(s) and adjacent products
- Creates and maintains a clear product vision and strategy that helps drive the product forward and supports the broader business goals of Workiva
- Partners with lead engineer and UX designer to scope out solutions and features and establish pathways for team to develop the product
- Establishes success criteria for the product, and works with UX researcher to determine how to measure that criteria.
- Ensures final product meets customer needs
- Monitors progress towards product completion for each component and the final product
- Identify potential problems within their product areas, process, or team(s) that arise in their area and resolve or assist in resolving those issues.
Relationship Management: Manages relationships with their product team, the product management team, product marketing, internal stakeholders, and customers that use or might use their product.
- Ensures that their product team understands the vision and strategy of their product, as well as the short and medium term plans to achieve their vision.
- Collaborates with the Product Management team to identify areas of possible alignment or collision
- Collaborates with Product Marketing to develop a go to market strategy
- Works to inform internal stakeholders of product strategy and goals, understands and considers their input
What You’ll Need
- Initiative and ambition
- Intellectual curiosity
- Affinity for technology/software
- Ability to motivate, inspire, and lead by example
- Excellent interpersonal communication and collaboration skills
- Strong negotiator
- Product delivery practices
- Product evangelism and motivational leadership
- Data-driven decision making
- Growing competencies in product vision and strategic thinking
- Previous experience in a product management role in software or related area
- Experience delivering software in an agile development environment using continuous deployment techniques
- Demonstrated competency in product discovery practices
- Entrepreneurial interests and experience
- Undergraduate Degree or equivalent combination of education and experience in a related field.
- B.A./B.S. degree, preferably in computer science, computer engineering, or business
- Up to 20% travel, occasionally more during product launches
Working Conditions & Physical Requirements
- Reliable internet access for any period of time working remotely, not in a Workiva office.
How You’ll be Rewarded:
Base Pay Range in Colorado: $98,000 – $133,000
A discretionary bonus typically paid annually
Restricted Stock Units granted at time of hire
The base pay range represents the low and high end of the hiring range for this job. Actual pay will vary and may be above or below the range based on various factors including but not limited to relevant skills, experience, and capabilities.