Date: Oct 17, 2021
Location: Ames, Iowa, US
Company: John Deere
At John Deere, we run so life can leap forward. This powerful purpose is our promise to humankind that we will dream, design and deliver breakthrough products that sustain our world for generations to come. The world is counting on us to feed billions of people and build vital infrastructures in villages, towns, and megacities. We live up to the legacy our founder forged in a one-room blacksmith’s shop nearly two centuries ago by creating a culture that brings out the best in all of us. A culture where great ideas thrive because every voice is heard.
Primary Location: United States (US) – Iowa – Ames
Function: Information Technology
Title: Part-Time Student-Software Engineering-Ames IA – 78272
Onsite/Remote: Onsite Position
The Part-Time Student Program is primarily designed to augment the Company’s regular full-time staff and is for students who work in parallel to their school schedule.
John Deere’s Order Management has an office at the ISU Research Park on the campus of Iowa State University in Ames, Iowa, with year-round part-time student positions for the following:
• Software Engineering – You will be part of a team of students working for John Deere’s Order Management building scalable applications residing on AWS Cloud architecture for both web based and mobile applications. In this role you will design, create and implement innovative applications. You will have an opportunity to improve your engineering skills with TDD, CI/CD, Git, Java, React, Node.js and other languages through developing applications.
What Skills You Need
• Ideally you will be pursuing a degree in Software Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science or Management Information Systems; others may apply
• Must be registered as a full-time student at Iowa State University
• Must be able to commute to work at the ISU Research Park (on the bus route)
• Graduation date of May 2022 or later
• Cumulative GPA of 2.8 or above
• Work 10 – 20 hours/week during the academic year
• Work 35 – 40 hours/week during the summer semesters and school breaks
• Exposure to one or more programming languages; Java, NodeJS, Python or scripting like Perl
• Demonstrated ability to rapidly learn new technologies
• Strong analytical, communication and intrapersonal skills
What Makes You Stand Out
• Exposure to continuous integration and continuous deployment concepts
• Exposure to TDD practices
• Background in networking, infrastructure, general cloud exposure, and experience with security concepts
• Exposure to cloud concepts and AWS/Azure services
What You’ll Get
At John Deere, you are empowered to create a career that will take you to where you want to go. Here, you’ll enjoy the freedom to explore new projects, the support to think outside the box and the advanced tools and technology that foster innovation and achievement. We offer comprehensive relocation and reward packages to help you get started on your new career path. Click here to find out more about our Total Rewards Package.
The information contained herein is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and qualifications required of individuals performing the job. The qualifications detailed in this job description are not considered the minimum requirements necessary to perform the job, but rather as guidelines.
An Equal Opportunity Employer, John Deere requires a diversity of people, perspectives and ideas to address the complex challenges of its global business. John Deere is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, among other things, race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.