The Machine Learning Engineer contributes to delivering machine learning (ML) infrastructure solutions across Workiva with the goal of improving quality, reliability, and efficiency of ML services. The role develops tools, systems, and automation to help monitor, measure, manage, and make transparent Workiva’s machine learning models. The ML Engineer analyzes issues that prevent availability or scaling and derives solutions that provide long-term stability.
What You’ll Do
- Deliver, update, maintain machine learning model training infrastructure
- Implement systems to enable rapid ML development, high availability, and clear observability
- Write automated tests (unit, integration, functional, etc) with ML solutions in mind
- Implement APIs with product teams to access Workiva’s ML models
- Responsible for serving/hosting ML models to product teams including monitoring
- Debug and troubleshoot components across multiple service and application contexts
- Engage with support teams in triaging and resolving production issues
- Participate in on-call rotations which include 24×7 support of all of Workiva’s SaaS hosted environments
- Perform Code Reviews within your group’s products, components, and solutions; involve external stakeholders (Ex. Security, Architecture) where appropriate
- Communicate complex technical issues to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Estimate your own work with guidance
What You’ll Need
- Undergraduate Degree or equivalent combination of education and experience in a related field.
- 2+ years in a related field
- Basic understanding of the machine learning development cycle
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- GitHub or other distributed VCS
- Go, Python
- Docker, Kubernetes
- Experience with Amazon Web Services or Google App Engine, etc.
- Demonstrated proficiency in programming to include a solid foundation in computer science, with competencies one or more of: data structures, algorithms, object-oriented software design, and working with cloud-based distributed systems.
- Debugging complex systems or applications
- Knowledge of HTTP and web protocols
- Using one or more commercial databases
- Working in an agile development environment
- Developing for service oriented architecture
- Exceptional organizational skills with the ability to multitask and manage multiple processes, programs, and procedures simultaneously while working under pressure to meet deadlines
- Systems performance tuning and load testing
- Working with product teams to integrate machine learning features into the product
- Production-level testing best practices (signals tests, load testing for ML services, etc) and optimizing models to work at scale
Working Conditions & Physical Requirements
- Reliable internet access for any period of time working remotely, not in a Workiva office
How You’ll Be Rewarded
- Base Pay Range in Colorado: $111,000 – $145,000
- A discretionary bonus typically paid annually
- Restricted Stock Units granted at time of hire
- 401(k) match
The base pay range represents the low and high end of the hiring range for this job. Actual pay will vary and may be above or below the range based on various factors including but not limited to relevant skills, experience, and capabilities.