The Line Cook promotes the spirit and intent of the department’s mission and strategy to provide first-class food and beverage offerings and a upscale casual experience to fellow employees at the Ames campus of Workiva in support of the company’s top tier employee services and work environment and to contribute to maintaining the corporate goal of making Workiva an employer of choice. The Line Cook is in control of a specific station in the Café, working on the grill, pizza oven, pasta or sandwich station depending on his/her assigned task, creating food of the highest quality and to the standards of the Executive Chef and in compliance with health code regulatory requirements. The Line Cook stocks and maintains sufficient levels of food products at line stations to assure a smooth service period; preps and turns out food from his/her station consistently and efficiently following Executive Chef approved recipes and portion and presentation procedures; and is responsible for the highest level of food quality, taste, presentation, and production with the aim of exceeding customers’ expectations. This position also aides in controlling access to premises by escorting customers and delivery personnel in and out to ensure safety and security to protect the confidentiality of the company’s proprietary tools and systems.
Ensures Station is Properly Stocked and Maintained: Stocks and maintains sufficient levels of food products at assigned line station to assure a smooth service period, constantly keeping the station clean and sanitized
- Sets up station according to Café guidelines
- Checks and tracks inventory levels of food products to ensure adequate supply to prepare applicable recipes; informs Kitchen Manager when supplies are running low or needs to reorder; restocks supplies as necessary; tracks and reports food waste
- Stores, rotates and handles products associated with station properly
- Properly uses and maintains all equipment; reports any functional or mechanical problems to the Kitchen Manager or Sous Chef immediately
- Maintains a clean, sanitary and organized work station area following all safety, sanitation and food handling procedures and regulations
Prepares proper mise en place: Preps and lays out food for service at assigned line station daily and in advance as much as practicable
- Reviews recipes to check for necessary ingredients and equipment, ensures freshness of product and adequate supply
- Prepares items for cooking (measures, chops, batters, breads, seasons, marinades, prepares sauces)
- Portions food products prior to cooking according to standard portion sizes and recipe specifications
- Organizes and arranges ingredients for easy accessibility and prep equipment as necessary
Cooks Items Requested from Station: Creates food of the highest quality and to the standards of the Executive Chef
- Understands and follows Executive Chef approved recipes
- Prepares set menu items consistently and efficiently, complying with standard portion sizes, cooking methods, quality standards and kitchen rules, policies and procedures and health code requirements
- Follows proper plate presentation and garnish set up for all dishes
- Assumes responsibility for the highest level of food quality, taste, presentation, and production with the aim of exceeding customers’ expectations
- Keeps up with the latest culinary trends and techniques; is creative in developing recipes and own techniques; cross-trains on other line stations and assists as needed
What You’ll Need
- High School Diploma or equivalent combination of education and experience in a related field.
- Must have commitment to quality customer service; demonstrate excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to responsive to customers
- Ability to take direction, understand and follow recipes
- Good understanding of professional cooking and knife handling skills and techniques; demonstrated knowledge of food trends, quality, production, and presentation and principles of safe food handling required
- Demonstrates professionalism and high energy in personal presentation and demeanor
- Must be able to work successfully under pressure and maintain a positive and professional attitude and able to shift priorities as necessary and multi-task while working to meet fast-paced and rapidly changing needs
- Demonstrates strong sense of urgency and results orientation; possesses ability to assess needs and initiate required actions; utilizes effective problem-solving skills; proficient organization skills and attention to detail
- Ability to make good use of one’s time, establish effective and efficient procedures for getting work done, set goals based on priorities
- Self-motivated and proactive with the ability to work autonomously while possessing outstanding collaboration skills to work effectively as part of the Café team
- Ability to understand and follow federal and state health code standards and maintain sanitary conditions is necessary
- Sufficient technology skills with relevant software applications, including e-mail, word processing and spreadsheet programs to perform essential tasks in an efficient and effective manner preferred
- Previous experience in fast-paced, high-volume restaurant setting preferred
- High school diploma required; associates or bachelor’s degree in culinary arts preferred, or appropriate combination of education and experience
- Familiarity with ServSafe standards preferred; ServSafe Certification a plus
- Minimal travel
Working Conditions & Physical Requirements
- Position requires physical ability for prolonged standing, bending, stooping, twisting, lifting products and supplies and operating equipment
- Hours may vary outside of regularly assigned schedule for special events and/or to fill in for team members in their absence
Where You’ll Work
Our values drive how we work and who we hire. You will see these values ingrained in how we support our customers, work with team members, build our products and in the work environment we’ve created.
- Customer Success: Always delight our customers.
- Trust: Rely on each other.
- Integrity: Do the right thing, every time.
- Collaboration: Share resources and work together.
- Innovation: Keep creating solutions and finding better ways.
- Inclusion: Support a diverse community where we all belong.
- Accountability: Be responsible for your success and failure.
We believe our people are our greatest asset, and our unique culture gives employees the opportunity to make an impact everyday. We give our employees the freedom and resources they need—backed by our culture of collaboration and diverse thought—to continue innovating and breaking new ground. We hire talented people with a wide range of skills and experiences who are eager to tackle some of today’s most challenging problems.
At Workiva, you’ll enjoy:
- Fantastic Benefits: With coverage starting day one, choose from competitive health, dental, and vision plans on the largest physician networks available.
- Casual Dress: Workiva has a casual work environment, most people wear jeans to the office.
- Involvement: Ability to participate in Employee Resource Groups, (Women in Tech, Women in Sales, Ethnic Diversity, Veterans, Rainbow (LGBTQ), Remote Employees, Caregiving) Volunteering, Company wide celebrations, and more
- Work-life Balance: We have competitive PTO, VTO and Parental Leave. We encourage employees to spend time enjoying life outside of work.
Learn more: https://www.workiva.com/careers/benefits
Workiva is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We believe that great minds think differently. We value diversity of backgrounds, beliefs, and interests, and we recognize diversity as an important source of intellectual thought, varied perspective, and innovation. Employment decisions are made without regard to age, race, creed, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, disability status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression genetic information, marital status, citizenship status or any other protected characteristic.
Workiva is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. To request assistance with the application process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.