Our Manufacturing Operations teams are the people that make our products. We work in the manufacturing plants with a “Safety First, Quality Always” mindset striving for continuous improvement. We work in the local plant connected to our global manufacturing network to ensure the highest quality of raw materials, intermediates and finished products.
The Lead Technician position is available at our Animal Health facility in Ames, Iowa. The Ames facility is expanding operations to manufacture vaccines for large and companion animals. The site leverages its dynamic, innovative team and a novel technology platform for the production of RNA-based vaccines.
The primary purpose of this position is to guide, train and develop technicians in Formulation and Filling including safety quality compliance and equipment, process qualifications in the production of RNA (RP) Particle Vaccine products manufactured in a USDA licensed facility.
What You Will Do:
- Develop capabilities of the Technicians through a combination of identifying individual aptitudes, coaching on the shop floor, networking with L&D for curriculum development and oversee on-the-job training.
- Upskill the team of Technicians via training and qualification in accordance to business specifications.
- Manage and coach the team on the company’s Leadership Behaviors, Compliance and Technical requirements.
- Lead team to champion a positive safety culture and demonstrate a commitment to safety.
- Participate in EHS Risk Assessments to proactively identify operational risks and propose effective mitigation actions/plans.
- Coach the team to continually self-identify potential safety risks, determine immediate and long-term countermeasures.
- Lead team to champion a culture of Quality Compliance through individual behaviors and promotion of our Company’s Ways of Working within the team.
- Create cGMP-level processes and formalize them into site procedures needed for compliance with the USDA regulatory standards.
- Drive ‘Right First Time’ mindset to ensure all documentation and records are compliant.
- Lead Quality investigations and establish Corrective and Preventive Actions (CAPAs) to prevent reoccurrence.
- Create value using Lean standards (Tier Structure, 5S, VSM, PDCA cycles, etc.), and demonstrate resourcefulness and independent problem-solving.
- Maintain customer (internal/external) and patent focus in an effort to deliver an effective and affordable product.
- Manage team performance through presence on the Shop Floor and appropriate team metrics. Cascade the appropriate information through the agreed-upon channels and share learnings with other departments.
- High School Diploma or equivalent plus 4+ years experience working in a lab or manufacturing of Biologics – OR –
- Bachelor’s Degree in Chemistry, Biology or related field with 2 years experience working in a lab or manufacturing of Biologics
Required Skills and Abilities:
- Previous experience working in a lab or manufacturing of Biologics
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to be a leader in the department and train other technicians
- Understanding of good aseptic practices and its importance
- Good mechanical skills/aptitude and ability to troubleshoot equipment
- Ability to work well with others across all levels of the organization
- Proficient computer skills including Microsoft Word and Excel
- Successful completion of Physical Abilities Test
Preferred Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstration of leadership skills
- Experience training others and/or leading hands-on or instructor-led training
- Understanding of Lean Manufacturing and/or Six Sigma tools and principles
- Proficiency in the use of SAP in a manufacturing setting
- Review of Paper or Electronic Batch Records
- Successfully lead multiple projects simultaneously
- Strong work ethic
- Result-driven mindset
- Make rapid, disciplined decisions
- Foster teamwork and cross-collaboration
- Continuous learning mindset
- Resilient and resourceful
- Foster team collaboration and possess good communication and conflict management skills
Our Manufacturing & Supply Division is dedicated to be the most trusted supplier of bio-pharmaceuticals worldwide. Our facilities, along with our external contractors, suppliers, and partners, create a reliable global manufacturing network that’s devoted to delivering a high quality, reliable supply to customers and patients on time, every time.
Who we are …
We are known as Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, New Jersey, USA in the United States and Canada and MSD everywhere else. For more than a century, we have been inventing for life, bringing forward medicines and vaccines for many of the world’s most challenging diseases. Today, our company continues to be at the forefront of research to deliver innovative health solutions and advance the prevention and treatment of diseases that threaten people and animals around the world.
What we look for …
In a world of rapid innovation, we seek brave Inventors who want to make an Impact in all aspects of our business, enabling breakthroughs that will affect generations to come. We encourage you to bring your disruptive thinking, collaborative spirit and diverse perspective to our organization. Together we will continue Inventing For Life, Impacting Lives while Inspiring Your Career Growth.
NOTICE FOR INTERNAL APPLICANTS
In accordance with Managers’ Policy – Job Posting and Employee Placement, all employees subject to this policy are required to have a minimum of twelve (12) months of service in current position prior to applying for open positions.
If you have been offered a separation benefits package, but have not yet reached your separation date and are offered a position within the salary and geographical parameters as set forth in the Summary Plan Description (SPD) of your separation package, then you are no longer eligible for your separation benefits package. To discuss in more detail, please contact your HRBP or Talent Acquisition Advisor.
Current Employees apply HERE
Current Contingent Workers apply HERE
US and Puerto Rico Residents Only:
Our company is committed to inclusion, ensuring that candidates can engage in a hiring process that exhibits their true capabilities. Please click here if you need an accommodation during the application or hiring process.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
We are proud to be a company that embraces the value of bringing diverse, talented, and committed people together. The fastest way to breakthrough innovation is when diverse ideas come together in an inclusive environment. We encourage our colleagues to respectfully challenge one another’s thinking and approach problems collectively. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.
View page here