You’re not likely to find another company like Vermeer. Our people are from all walks of life in locations around the world, rolling up our sleeves and getting tough work done every day. Together. We’re a family-owned and operated company with an unmatched culture, one that is built on the belief that every Vermeer team member has real, personal impact – on our people, our customers and our world. Whoever you are and where you are in your career, Vermeer helps you be Equipped to Do More®.
The Project Engineer – Embedded Software leads an Agile software design team to innovate and provide cost effective and on time software solutions to meet customer needs. This position leads software engineering projects, Agile team development, and continuous improvement of software development methods, practices, and standards.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
1. Lead through the Vermeer characteristics of caring culture, demonstrating agility, customer focused, and stewardship and model the associated behaviors. Manage assigned team members in performance of their duties. Establish and monitor individual and team goals which are aligned with the organization’s business strategies and objectives and ensure department is properly serving its internal and external customers and meeting defined expectations.
2. Leads a software development team from planning, release schedule, story creation, backlog organization and prioritization, through execution in Sprints and Potentially Shippable Increment to software verification and release. Is the single point of contact for software development on assigned projects.
3. Lead continuous improvement activities regarding software development methods, practices, and standards.
4. Develop metrics and dashboards to transparently lead a software Agile development team in delivering on-time, high quality, and defect free embedded software. Measure and manage software defects by identify root causes, detection and escape points in order to implement both short and long term corrective and preventative actions.
5. Provide early-stage software development plans to identifying change, build initial backlog, and match the Agile team’s capacity to provide completion milestones so overall project can be planned for success.
6. Promote a healthy development culture that empowers Agile software teams to deliver incremental value every Sprint.
7. Maintain and organize software functional specifications, code repository, change control processes and configuration management.
8. Ensure test planning is part of Potentially Shippable Increment and Sprint planning and assure stories contain robust and common definitions of done.
Education and/or Experience
– Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or related Engineering field with at least 5 years previous job experience and/or training; and/or combination of equivalent education and experience is required.
Other Skills and Experience
– Demonstration of good project management skills including good verbal and written communication skills.
– Deep knowledge of software development life cycle fundamentals, including continuous integration and multi-stage software deployment, automated testing, and tools for production & field support.
– Experience in achieving goals in the product development process, which include gross margin, cost, reliability, and performance for each assigned project to support the strategic goals of the organization.
– Experience in leading effectively with all internal and external personnel to manage, design, build and debug software applications.
– Experience in improving software performance, costs, manufacturability, and reliability which is a direct link to the Company profitability.
– Experience in mentoring and developing software under Agile frameworks.
– Ability to provide accurate, professional, and error-free documents in a timely manner.
– Experience in effectively leading project development and engineering teams to complete projects on time and within budget.
– Experience in Agile embedded software development on real time controllers using model-based software development or similar methods.
– Experience with Matlab, Simulink, C, J1939, Github, scripting languages is required. Working experience with real-time operating systems and databases preferred.
Up to 10% domestic and/or international travel by car or plane may be required.
ONSITE: A team member’s day-to-day work is best done on a Vermeer campus. If work content can be occasionally completed at an offsite location, discuss potential arrangements with your manager.