The IT Systems Technician (ITST) is responsible for the operation, programming, and configuration of many pieces of electronics, hardware and software. An ITST is also tasked to investigate, troubleshoot, and resolve end-user problems. These technicians conduct ongoing assessments of short and long-term hardware and software needs for companies, developing, testing, and implementing new and revised programs. The ITST is also held accountable for the accessibility and usability of the company’s computer and electronic information. They maintain the protection and privacy of the entire data, related to the company.
We are looking for technically skilled candidates with excellent problem-solving abilities and communication skills for the position of ITST. The ITST is a reference point for all IT related queries at the user level, responding to all user needs in a timely manner, taking direction and delegation from the Chief Information Officer (CIO) and ensuring the optimal running of all systems, among other technical duties. Thus, the ITST is expected to display good interpersonal skills as they will interact with colleagues from various departments, multiple locations and with members of the executive levels. They are required to listen to their technical needs, understand their problems, and implement solutions for them.
The ITST reports to the CIO and will be guided within a continuous improvement framework, and as such will be provided entrepreneurial independence, ownership and autonomy on how to perform tasks, but simultaneously directed to ensure they stay within the CIOs guidelines and expectations. The ITST performs help desk requests, installations, maintenance and repair work on any computing related equipment that supports the business from laptops, desktops, tablets, smart phones, VoIP systems and phones, printers, local area networks, wide area networks, point-to-point networks, any piece of computer related peripheral or software an end user would be using. An ITST technician must perform the majority of the mentioned tasks while providing a high level of customer service to each end user. Providing these services in an effective and efficient manner will ensure maximum access to and implementation of technology services and resources for the company.
Essential Job Functions:
1. Ensure knowledge of all electronic systems, embody a customer service mindset and that users are technology-aware
- Be familiar with PC, server and networking hardware, associated operating systems, O365, Azure, Okta, Slack, Lifesize and line-of-business applications
- Stay up to date on the security landscape, abide by the security policies put forth by CIO and communicate said policies to end users, both existing and new
- Provide technology orientation to new users and train staff about potential uses of new and existing technology
- Provide individual training and support on request, or proactively as needs are witnessed
- Maintain current and accurate inventory of technology hardware, software and resources
- Gain an understanding of general agricultural and egg specific programs and operations
- Radiate a “how can I help you” mentality and be the technology solution, delivering best in class service
2. Monitor and maintain local area technology to ensure maximum access
- Troubleshoot all technology issues in a timely manner
- Maintain log and/or list of required repairs and maintenance, close each line item with results and completion date
- Image PCs, order user equipment; setup and install for users/projects per authorized request
- Provide and reset/disable network accounts and passwords as directed
- Monitor and report factors of security as determined by CIO
- Managing computer networks by monitoring system performance and availability, clearing alarms via troubleshooting malfunctions, and maintaining an up-to-date and stable environment
- Document all network changes, maintain lists of active networking nodes, label all cables/patch panels
- Identify areas of improvement, report issue and corrective action plan to CIO for approval
- Identify and prepare hardware for disposal when appropriate
- Ensure hardware is stripped and secured before disposal
- Work with Sysadmins and CIO for both non-local area technology issues/questions as well as guidance on proper maintenance and upgrade paths for local area technology
3. Travel periodically to all local-area facilities within a 90-minute radius
- Maintain notes and to-do lists for each facility, organize and triage through list to tackle most important or quickest to resolve first. Communicate back with CIO on all major projects and as needed for help on prioritization of tasks and projects.
- Even if no defined tasks, visiting a location on a short periodic basis is a must, as many tasks are “not important enough” from a user’s eyes to raise a ticket for, but will be quality of life issues an ITST can help with when visiting on-site
4. Perform other related duties as required by Business Unit Leaders (BUL) and CIO
A person who wants to do the job of an ITST should ideally have a bachelor’s degree in computer science or any other related field; associate degrees at a technical school specializing in ITST duties is acceptable. Candidates with a master’s in business administration wherein they specialize in systems and IT will also be considered. The candidate needs to have some years of experience in other facets of computer systems operations and management or a related field. Apart from this, they need to have the required certificates that prove technology aptitude and a penchant for staying current with technology. An ITST must be a proficient troubleshooter and should have great communication and technical skills. The ideal candidate should be able to adapt to all kinds of working conditions as they will be working in places where equipment and user knowledge may be de-arranged and dis-organized. The candidate should also have the patience to put things into order and repair computer software and hardware components and parts, while minimizing the amount of time put into any one task, instead asking the rest of the team for assistance in knowledge or labor.
The incumbent must demonstrate the following skills:
- Ability to install and administer computer hardware, software and networks
- Sound judgment to not implement changes that could disrupt any normal operating conditions without full understanding and approval
- Propensity to document and keep documentation updated
- Analytical and problem-solving skills
- Decision making skills that are results driven
- Stress management skills
- Time management skills
- Effective verbal, written and listening skills to effectively communicate with team and CIO
- Ability to ask questions, and ask for help
The incumbent must demonstrate the following personal attributes:
- Be honest and trustworthy
- Be diligent and efficient
- Be respectful
- Possess cultural awareness and sensitivity
- Be flexible, with the ability to triage, deciding what’s most immediately important
- Demonstrate sound work ethics
- Ability to hold confidentiality
- A customer-service mentality
Read more here.