This particular Director of Product Management role is the ideal opportunity for a proven enterprise platform product management director interested in playing a leading role in the growth and evolution of the Workiva XBRL and structured data management platform. Leading a talented team of product managers and structured data analysts, you will collaborate with a variety of other solution and platform product managers, customers, and external organizations to ensure the Workiva platform adapts and expands to grow our current offerings and create new ones. As the people leader for this team, you’ll bring your full-lifecycle experience in product management to bear on challenges like formulating a credible vision and strategy, prioritizing a portfolio of opportunities, decreasing customer time-to-value, entering new markets, enabling and leveraging an ecosystem of technology and services partners, and coaching your team to achieve both professional and company goals.
For this role, you need to have a strong track record of success in developing enterprise solutions and platforms that users and developer ecosystems love, energizing and inspiring your co-workers and customers, and holding yourself accountable for the team’s success. A deep working knowledge of XBRL for global financial and statutory reporting is required for this role.
What You’ll Do
- Collaborates with both internal and external customers to identify needs and opportunities and determine product-market fit.
- Works to vet new solution opportunities, assists in identification of new markets and use cases.
- Meets with customers, sometimes highly strategic customers, to validate features and walk-through product iterations in the course of development to ensure product development is on track to meet customer needs.
- Occasionally meets with dissatisfied customers to address their concerns.
- Works closely with design to make sure features are usable and intuitive for our customers
- Works closely with engineering to ensure solution feasibility
- Acquires a deep expertise of their product, their customers, and the related domain(s)
- Document key use cases and personas to help the team understand the problems
- Creates story maps, road maps and other artifacts to provide context and direction to product teams and other stakeholders
- Ensures final product meets customer needs
- Research competitive/related solutions, understands the technology landscape
Management of Product
- Co-authors and maintains the structured data vision, strategy, and product plan with other senior leaders in support of the broader business goals of Workiva.
- Defines priority of outcomes, clarifies customer needs for product group(s), works with engineering to set deadlines for milestones, authors Objectives and Key Results (OKRs), and acts as a leader on their product team(s).
- Assembles teams from across the R&D organization to align towards common or overlapping goals.
- Acquires a deep expertise in the structured data platform, interdependent platform components, and products powered by the platform.
- Gains an understanding of the entire Workiva ecosystem.
- Partners with Engineering and UX leadership to scope out solutions and features and establish pathways for teams to develop the product.
- Establishes success criteria for the platform and works with UX researchers to determine how to measure that criteria.
- Monitors progress towards product completion for each component and the final product.
- Ensures final product meets customer needs.
- Guides the creation of roadmap in partnership with Product Managers, UX, and Engineering.
- Identifies potential problems within the platform, process, or teams and drives resolutions for those issues.
- Manages relationships with their product team, the product management team, product marketing, internal executive stakeholders, sales, strategic partners, customer success, and customers that depend on the platform.
- Communicates with regulators, XBRL US, and XBRL International to inform and advocate on behalf of Workiva, its customers, and its partners.
- Ensures that their product team, the rest of Workiva, partners, and customers understand the vision and strategy for the structured data platform, as well as the short- and medium-term plans to achieve their vision.
- Collaborates with the Product Management team to identify areas of possible alignment or collision.
- Works to inform internal stakeholders of product strategy and goals and understands and considers their input.
- Collaborates with Product Marketing to develop a go-to-market strategy.
- Manages or mentors Product Managers; provides guidance and leadership to other product team members.
- May have one or more product managers as direct reports.
- Provides guidance, formally or informally, to others in the Product Management team.
What You’ll Need
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Deep understanding of XBRL, global XBRL-based mandates, and financial reporting processes
- Self-motivated with strong propensity for action, results, and continuous improvement
- The ability to work successfully in a high-energy, fast paced, rapidly changing environment is necessary
- Exceptional organizational skills with the ability to multi-task and manage multiple processes, programs, and procedures simultaneously while working under pressure to meet deadlines
- 10+ years related experience
- B.S./B.A. degree preferred, preferably in accounting, finance, business, computer science, or computer engineering
- MBA preferred