McFarland Clinic is currently accepting applications for Patient Relations/Risk Management Director. Candidates should be service-oriented, a team player, and be able to provide extraordinary care, every day to our patients.
Responsibilities include: development and maintenance of a comprehensive patient relations (PR) and risk management (RM) program and primary responsibility for RM activities in accordance with McFarland Clinic’s Core Values and Promise. Other duties include:
- Receives and manages claims, lawsuits, and court orders.
- Acts as a liaison with professional liability insurance carrier staff, defense counsel, and physician and employee staff.
- Works with legal counsel and the insurance adjuster in investigating claims, developing defense strategy and evaluating the monetary value of the claim. Assists legal counsel in accessing clinic medical records, scheduling depositions, mediations, and facilitates the discovery process involved with litigation.
- Promotes a positive, professional image of the organization both internally and externally.
- Promotes positive interpersonal relations and serves as a role model with all personnel.
- Coordinates and participates in the Ownership Committee and Patient Care/Peer Review (PCPR) Committee; develops meeting agenda; records minutes.
- Performs focused studies, including but not limited to, studies of actual or suspected problems, outcome-oriented studies, and/or individual case reviews.
- Develops and analyzes data regarding claims history and identifies trends of adverse outcomes, risk exposures, and recommends corrective action if appropriate.
- Reports, as needed, to the appropriate clinic committees and insurance carrier on activities related to Patient Relations, RM and peer review.
- Assures settlements paid on behalf of a provider or the resolution of a lawsuit to the appropriate examining board.
- Assures reports to the National Practitioners Data Bank (NPDB) have been completed, as needed, to comply with federal law.
- Receives and manages patient/staff concerns and variances.
- Assists with PR activities.
- Develops or assists in the development and implementation of educational programs concerning PR, and RM activities.
- Develops and maintains policies and procedures as related to PR and RM.
- Serves as a resource for clinic providers and staff regarding PR and RM.
- Assumes accountability for enhancing own knowledge through professional associations, journals, workshops in services to proactively keep updated on issues and trends in RM.
- Maintains awareness of applicable laws and/or regulations and remains current on changes
- Participates in meetings of administrative groups and other clinic committees.
- Participates in management reviews of professional liability insurance coverage.
- Conducts annual review, in conjunction, with the PCPR Committee, of the quality and RM program; including its effectiveness and efficiency.
- Performs related work as required.
- Graduate of an accredited school of nursing (RN) or Bachelors degree in health-related field.
- Certified Professional in Healthcare Risk Management required or obtained within 3 to 5 years to hire date.
Days: Monday – Friday
Hours: 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM (occasional early morning or evenings for meetings, as required)
- Five years risk management experience preferred.
- Prior management experience preferred and working in a health care delivery organization required.
McFarland Clinic offers a comprehensive benefits package, including health and dental insurance, 401(k), and PTO. Click here for details.
McFarland Clinic is central Iowa’s largest physician-owned multi-specialty clinic. Join our team and join a group of caring professionals, dedicated to providing Extraordinary Care, Every Day! We value quality care and extraordinary service, trusting relationships and an exceptional workplace. Our organization has more than 70 years of experience caring for people. We welcome applicants who can help us enhance the health and well-being of our patients and communities we serve.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, creed, color, religion, age, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. McFarland Clinic takes affirmative action in support of its policy to and advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)
View page here