You’re not likely to find another company like Vermeer. Our people are from all walks of life in locations around the world, rolling up our sleeves and getting tough work done every day. Together. We’re a family-owned and operated company with an unmatched culture, one that is built on the belief that every Vermeer team member has real, personal impact – on our people, our customers and our world. Whoever you are and where you are in your career, Vermeer helps you be Equipped to Do More®.
The Engineering Product Owner utilizes the strategic product management roadmap to communicate and oversee the tactical delivery of the product vision from an Agile development team. This position creates, prioritizes and maintains a product backlog derived from stakeholders and end-users, and leverages a strong understanding of the Agile methodology to guide the development team in feature creation. Other key responsibilities include determining tactical product release roadmaps, communicating progress effectively with stakeholders, and driving focus on value creation to assure products maximize customer value while meeting project deadlines.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
1. Demonstrate the Vermeer characteristics of caring culture, demonstrating agility, customer focused, and stewardship and model the associated behaviors.
2. Creates and maintains the Product Backlog, including the continuous process of breaking down high-level feature descriptions into user stories that are clear, unambiguous and provides specific acceptance criteria. Along with the development team, this role assures that user stories are granular enough to be achieved within a development integration.
3. Acts as the link between Product Management and the development team to assure that the high-level, long-term strategic objectives of the product are realized.
4. Balances the vision of the product and business goals of the project to prioritize and sequence the Product Backlog to maximum customer value creation within specific schedule constraints.
5. Engage with Product Management, customers and stakeholders throughout the project to maintain awareness of product vision and business needs. This role has final approval of whether features meet the acceptance criteria and therefore confirm the development team is building the right product and delivering the expected customer value and ROI.
6. Partners with Engineering Management to identify individual and team skills needed to meet project objectives, manage conflicts within the team and provide ongoing feedback on individual and team performance.
7. With Engineering Management, identify and execute opportunities for continual process improvement in Vermeer’s product development processes.
Education and/or Experience
– Bachelor’s degree with a major in Marketing, Computer Science, Engineering, or Business.
– Minimum 2 years of related experience in delivering technical solutions from concept to commercialization, preferably in new product development.
– Certified Product Owner training is preferred.
Other Skills and Abilities
– Demonstrated experience in Agile principles, processes and methodologies, with focus on understanding and delivering customer value.
– Excellent interpersonal and communication skills; verbal, written, presentation and negotiation, with a proven ability to engage with customers and understand and communicate their needs.
– Demonstrated experience facilitating meetings across multiple levels of an organization, including internal and external customers and stakeholders.
– Proven ability to work with and lead in a highly technical, cross-functional and cross-cultural team environment, with a strong orientation toward results.
– Excellent organizational and time-management skills.
– Proven experience at managing a product backlog, including writing stories, determining acceptance criteria, scope estimation, and managing priorities.
– Planning and problem solving with product management, project management and delivery teams.
– Ability to effectively deal with frequent change, delays, and unexpected events.
– Help create wireframes, workflow diagrams, and other visualizations to communicate technical concepts to stakeholders and development team.
Up to 15% domestic and/or international travel by car or plane may be required.
HYBRID: Some of a team member’s day-to-day work may be best done at a location other than a Vermeer campus. Discuss specific arrangements with your manager.