Engineering Managers serve as leaders of Agile product development teams and resources. They ensure the effective coordination and optimization of behavior across diverse teams. This role provides technical oversight and guidance while also managing the team members to ensure effective team functioning and product development. Product Development Managers also provide oversight of the product development processes and Development teams, giving feedback and developing the leaders on those teams. In some instances, the Engineering Manager could also serve as the Product Manager or technical lead on teams without dedicated persons in those roles. Key responsibilities for which the Engineering Manager is accountable include: people management; oversight of customer requirements, technical oversight, product development planning, and stakeholder relationship management. The Engineering Manager is also accountable for overall team performance, delivering high product quality in a timely fashion, attracting talent, and minimizing unwanted turnover.
- People Management: Contributes to building a strong sustainable organization with high levels of employee engagement by selecting and developing talent and rewarding superior performance
- Provides employees with coaching, feedback, and developmental opportunities to enhance their skills, motivation, and performance
- Rewards performance in ways that enhance employee engagement, commitment, and satisfaction
- Demonstrates the assessment capability to identify top talent for recruitment
- Manages operations staffing, including recruitment, supervision, scheduling, performance management and development
- Conducts effective performance evaluations
- Identifies and resolves interpersonal conflicts and resource issues
- Fulfillment of Customer Requirements:
- Provides leadership for the team to fully understand and resolve issues, concerns, and problems that result in delivering high quality products
- Identifies and clearly articulates customer needs and requirements and ensures that the product meets those needs and also serves the larger business needs of the company
- Provides management oversight regarding the implementation of customer needs and requirements
- Recognizes the implications of work being done for addressing the needs and concerns of the larger customer base of Workiva and growing the business
- Technical Oversight:
- Provides leadership for the development team in generating innovative solutions
- Leads team members to explore new approaches that will provide optimal solutions to identified issues
- Takes initiative to share best practices and takes a leadership role in designing and architecting solutions that go beyond what’s been done or imagined previously in the development life cycle
- Ensures that team production meets customer needs and requirements while maintaining high quality standards
- Ensures that software product design can be leveraged to meet a broad range of customer needs and requirements
- Willing to take risks to explore new directions, and to persuade others of the merits of a proposed solution; engages others in supporting efforts
- Product Development Planning:
- Provides oversight of forecasts, team deliverables, and timelines
- Ensures quality of finished product
- Confirms accurate estimates of level of effort and breaks down tasks and subtasks
- Manages dependencies between teams in forecasting and planning
- Knows team’s capabilities and the scope and level of anticipated effort to produce intended results
- Stakeholder Relationship Management: Manages relationships across multiple teams to ensure that best practice standards are being utilized in their respective areas
- Serves as subject matter expert in relation to various areas of software development and service support
- Coordinates work across teams to ensure that best practice software development and quality testing standards are being incorporated
- Collaborates across teams to ensure that customer requirements are fully met
What You’ll Need
- Excellent communication (verbal, listening, writing) skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong facilitation and conflict resolution skills
- Understanding of the software development life cycle and why each piece is important
- Demonstrated proficiency in programming to include a solid foundation in computer science, with competencies in data structures, algorithms, and object-oriented software design (Product Development)
- – Senior software engineer experience; experience in automated testing or process improvement; experience working within the software development life cycle as a software engineer, quality analyst, or similar position
- Demonstrated leadership potential; prior experience leading a team of people, preferred
- Experience working in an Agile development environment, preferred
- Experience working in the areas of accounting or financial reporting, preferred
- Solid testing background is a strong indicator of a good fit with the Workiva environment
- B.A/B.S. or M.S. in computer science, software engineering, or related field or equivalent work experience preferred
- Typically requires no more than 25% travel to meet with customer, vendors and/or suppliers, attend trade shows
Where You’ll Work
Our values drive how we work and who we hire. You will see these values ingrained in how we support our customers, work with team members, build our products and in the work environment we’ve created.
- Customer Success: Always delight our customers.
- Trust: We rely on each other.
- Integrity: Do the right thing, every time.
- Collaboration: Share resources and work together.
- Innovation: Keep creating solutions and finding better ways.
- Inclusion: Support a diverse community where we all belong.
- Accountability: Be responsible for your success and failure.
We believe our people are our greatest asset, and our unique culture gives employees the opportunity to make an impact everyday. We give our employees the freedom and resources they need—backed by our culture of collaboration and diverse thought—to continue innovating and breaking new ground. We hire talented people with a wide range of skills and experiences who are eager to tackle some of today’s most challenging problems.
At Workiva, you’ll enjoy:
- Fantastic Benefits: With coverage starting day one, choose from competitive health, dental, and vision plans on the largest physician networks available.
- Casual Dress: Workiva has a casual work environment, most people wear jeans to the office.
- Involvement: Ability to participate in Employee Resource Groups, (Women in Tech, Women in Sales, Ethnic Diversity, Veterans, Rainbow (LGBTQ), Remote Employees, Caregiving) Volunteering, Company wide celebrations, and more
- Work-life Balance: We have competitive PTO, VTO and Parental Leave. We encourage employees to spend time enjoying life outside of work.
Learn more: https://www.linkedin.com/company/workiva/life/
Individuals seeking employment are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a protected veteran, or disability.
View page here