- Ames, Iowa, USA
- time type
- Full time
- posted on
- Posted 4 Days Ago
- job requisition id
You’re not likely to find another company like Vermeer. Our people are from all walks of life in locations around the world, rolling up our sleeves and getting tough work done every day. Together. We’re a family-owned and operated company with an unmatched culture, one that is built on the belief that every Vermeer team member has real, personal impact – on our people, our customers and our world. Whoever you are and where you are in your career, Vermeer helps you be Equipped to Do More®.
The Engineering Manager leads and directs the engineering activities, develops and implements policies and procedures for the engineering function, and oversees adherence to work in accordance with company policies, priorities and budget constraints. This position manages and/or develops budgets for department including operating requirements, equipment, and material purchases. This role provides technical leadership and assistance to other departments across the organization as required.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
1. Lead through the Vermeer characteristics of caring culture, demonstrating agility, customer focused, and stewardship and model the associated behaviors. Manage assigned team members in performance of their duties. Establish and monitor individual and team goals which are aligned with the organization’s business strategies and objectives and ensure department is properly serving its internal and external customers and meeting defined expectations.
2. Define, develop, and lead strategic engineering activities within the assigned area of responsibility. Develop and maintain engineering processes and design guidelines for assigned area and product group.
3. Ensure on-time project launches that meet standards and meet or exceed customer expectations. Coordinate with sales, service, marketing, purchasing, manufacturing, quality assurance, and other departments required for assuring the successful launch of the product or project.
4. Ensure ease of manufacturability and assembly by coordinating and collaborating with the necessary departments and individuals on items including, but not limited to, quality of parts, safety and legal issues, and product design; implement engineering solutions that improve quality and reliability.
5. Develop and lead lean strategies for improving existing product and process systems based on policy deployment initiatives and target market applications. Lead lean process activities from process prototype through production implementation.
6. Consult with service, field personnel and product specialists on answering technical questions for assigned area and direct the tracking and resolution of field issues. Participate in voice of customer events, customer service and dealer product conference calls.
7. Research and identify applications, performance, and functional requirements to assure adequacy for the intended function in customer acceptable terms. Conceptualize, conceive, plan, and direct the production environment design, model build, testing, costing, manufacturing review and production startup.
Education and/or Experience
– 4-year technical degree in Mechanical, Agricultural, Electrical, Industrial or relevant Engineering required.
– MBA or M.S./PhD preferred.
– Minimum of 12 years’ experience in multiple areas of a manufacturing-based company required, with functional experience and proficiency in the field of mechanical, electrical, and/or systems design; and/or combination of education and experience, required.
– Minimum of 8 years’ experience in effectively managing people, processes, and development projects.
Other Skills and Abilities
– Knowledge of the heavy equipment manufacturing industry, including competitive trends and threats, market demand and the influencers on demand, product line, product development, business systems, manufacturability and support.
– Knowledge of financial statements, budgeting, and the strategic planning processes; ability to operate within targeted budget.
– Ability to develop reliable, easily manufactured, high performing, competitive solutions that are financially successful for the Company.
– Ability to collect information and make good decisions based on sound data and input from multiple individuals. Ability to make detail orientated and independent decisions that not only effect the department goals positively, but contribute to the overall Company goals.
– Ability to effectively manage and prioritize projects and schedules to meet customer expectations and provide on time delivery of new products and enhancements.
– Ability to meet performance measures, including gross margin, market share, sales, and reliability and customer goals.
– Ability to provide informative and professional assistance when working with the public/customers and co-workers and maintain positive interpersonal relationships which encourage openness.
– Ability to produce accurate, professional and error-free documents in a timely manner.
– Demonstration of good verbal and written communication skills. Ability to speak clearly and effectively communicate a message in front of various groups of people.
Up to 35% domestic and/or international travel by car or plane may be required.
ONSITE: A team member’s day-to-day work is best done on a Vermeer campus. If work content can be occasionally completed at an offsite location, discuss potential arrangements with your manager.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or veteran status. Applicants requiring a reasonable accommodation due to a disability at any stage of the employment application process should contact Team Member Solutions in human resources at (641) 621-8767 or at email@example.com.
Learn More Here