What You’ll Do
- Leads a squad of engineers, SDETs, & QAA and assign roles and tasks within the team as appropriate
- Represents and communicates resource needs and matters impacting the team to group leaders based on priorities, roadmap, and team capacity; assess and own engineering trade offs within their squad in consultation with other group leaders.
- Works with group leaders and individual contributors to define, assess, and execute and adhere to product quality strategy guidelines.
- Identifies and mitigates or communicates technical risks to your group’s leadership
- Collaborates with group leaders to define & plan group objectives
- Promotes sustainable product development practices & agile principles ensuring appropriate attention to overall support burden, architectural direction, & tech debt in support of the taxonomy group
- Contributes to and enacts accountability for the product delivery schedule
- Represents Workiva Engineering at internal and external events; where appropriate, actively recruits via meet-ups, conferences and events.
- Communicates, reinforces, and holds squad(s) accountable for developing software within the principles, standards, and best practices for Workiva Product Development (Engineering, Architecture, and Product).
Team Performance Development
- Assesses and documents individual employee performance.
- Meets with direct reports to discuss and coach in areas including, but not limited to: career development, assigned product development work, and issues or obstacle that they face. Address issues from 1:1s
- Conducts skip-level meetings.
- Assesses and manages team health, including employee engagement and conflict management.
- Prioritizes and invests time into career growth for direct reports; identifies and provides opportunities related to goals, as appropriate.
- Interviews and participates in the recruiting and selection process; manages new team member onboarding.
What You’ll Need
- Undergraduate Degree or equivalent combination of education and experience in a related field.
- Excellent communication (verbal, listening, writing) skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong facilitation and conflict resolution skills
- Understanding of the software development life cycle and why each piece is important
- Demonstrated proficiency in programming to include a solid foundation in computer science, with competencies in data structures, algorithms, and object-oriented software design (Product Development)
- 4+ years of related engineering experience
- Progressive software engineer experience in automated testing or process improvement; working within the software development life cycle as a software engineer, quality analyst, or similar position
- Demonstrated leadership potential; prior experience leading a team of people preferred
- Experience working in an Agile development environment preferred
- Experience working in the areas of accounting or financial reporting preferred
- Solid testing background is strongly preferred