The Engineering Manager serve as a leader of an agile product development team. This role guides the effective coordination and optimization of behavior across a diverse team. This role provides technical oversight and guidance while also managing the team members to ensure effective team functioning and product development. Key responsibilities for which the Engineering Manager is accountable include: people management; oversight of customer requirements, technical oversight, product development planning, process improvement, and stakeholder relationship management.
What You’ll Do
- Leads a squad of engineers, SDETs, & QAA and assign roles and tasks within the team as appropriate
- Represents and communicates resource needs and matters impacting the team to group leaders based on priorities, roadmap, and team capacity; assess and own engineering trade offs within their squad in consultation with other group leaders.
- Works with group leaders and individual contributors to define, assess, and execute and adhere to product quality strategy guidelines.
- Identifies and mitigates or communicates technical risks to your group’s leadership
- Collaborates with group leaders to define & plan group objectives
- Promotes sustainable product development practices & agile principles ensuring appropriate attention to overall support burden, architectural direction, & tech debt in support of the taxonomy group
- Contributes to and enacts accountability for the product delivery schedule
- Represents Workiva Engineering at internal and external events; where appropriate, actively recruits via meet-ups, conferences and events.
- Communicates, reinforces, and holds squad(s) accountable for developing software within the principles, standards, and best practices for Workiva Product Development (Engineering, Architecture, and Product).
Team Performance Development
- Assesses and documents individual employee performance.
- Meets with direct reports to discuss and coach in areas including, but not limited to: career development, assigned product development work, and issues or obstacle that they face. Address issues from 1:1s
- Conducts skip-level meetings.
- Assesses and manages team health, including employee engagement and conflict management.
- Prioritizes and invests time into career growth for direct reports; identifies and provides opportunities related to goals, as appropriate.
- Interviews and participates in the recruiting and selection process; manages new team member onboarding.
What You’ll Need
- Undergraduate Degree or equivalent combination of education and experience in a related field.
- Excellent communication (verbal, listening, writing) skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong facilitation and conflict resolution skills
- Understanding of the software development life cycle and why each piece is important
- Demonstrated proficiency in programming to include a solid foundation in computer science, with competencies in data structures, algorithms, and object-oriented software design (Product Development)
- 4+ years of related engineering experience
- Progressive software engineer experience in automated testing or process improvement; working within the software development life cycle as a software engineer, quality analyst, or similar position
- Demonstrated leadership potential; prior experience leading a team of people preferred
- Experience working in an Agile development environment preferred
- Experience working in the areas of accounting or financial reporting preferred
- Solid testing background is strongly preferred
- Typically requires no more than 25% travel to meet with customer, vendors and/or suppliers, attend trade shows
Working Conditions & Physical Requirements
- Reliable internet access for any period of time working remotely, not in a Workiva office
How You’ll Be Rewarded
- Base Pay Range in Colorado: $145,000 – $206,000
- A discretionary bonus typically paid annually
- Restricted Stock Units granted at time of hire
The base pay range represents the low and high end of the hiring range for this job. Actual pay will vary and may be above or below the range based on various factors including but not limited to relevant skills, experience, and capabilities.
Where You’ll Work
Our values drive how we work and who we hire. You will see these values ingrained in how we support our customers, work with team members, build our products and in the work environment we’ve created.
- Customer Success: Always delight our customers.
- Trust: Rely on each other.
- Integrity: Do the right thing, every time.
- Collaboration: Share resources and work together.
- Innovation: Keep creating solutions and finding better ways.
- Inclusion: Support a diverse community where we all belong.
- Accountability: Be responsible for your success and failure.
We believe our people are our greatest asset, and our unique culture gives employees the opportunity to make an impact everyday. We give our employees the freedom and resources they need—backed by our culture of collaboration and diverse thought—to continue innovating and breaking new ground. We hire talented people with a wide range of skills and experiences who are eager to tackle some of today’s most challenging problems.
At Workiva, you’ll enjoy:
- Fantastic Benefits: With coverage starting day one, choose from competitive health, dental, and vision plans on the largest physician networks available.
- Casual Dress: Workiva has a casual work environment, most people wear jeans to the office.
- Involvement: Ability to participate in Employee Resource Groups, (Women in Tech, Women in Sales, Ethnic Diversity, Veterans, Rainbow (LGBTQ), Remote Employees, Caregiving) Volunteering, Company wide celebrations, and more
- Work-life Balance: We have competitive PTO, VTO and Parental Leave. We encourage employees to spend time enjoying life outside of work.
Learn more about life at Workiva: www.linkedin.com/showcase/workiva-life-and-careers/
Learn more about the company: https://www.linkedin.com/company/workiva/
Learn more about benefits: https://www.workiva.com/careers/benefits
Workiva is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We believe that great minds think differently. We value diversity of backgrounds, beliefs, and interests, and we recognize diversity as an important source of intellectual thought, varied perspective, and innovation. Employment decisions are made without regard to age, race, creed, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, disability status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression genetic information, marital status, citizenship status or any other protected characteristic.
Workiva is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. To request assistance with the application process, please email email@example.com.