Who We Are
Vermeer equips customers doing important work around the world. We are global, driven by innovation and growing. The equipment we make manages natural resources, connects people and feeds and fuels communities. We live out a caring culture, we demonstrate agility, we keep a focus on customers and are stewards of our resources. These beliefs drive our culture, determine how we treat others and steer our business.
1 – First Shift
The Engineer II – Research and Development (R & D) synthesizes and applies in-depth knowledge with current research data to investigate and communicate capability, constraints, and risk associated with new technologies. Investigations include evaluation of technology alignment with customer problems / needs requirements, industry competitive requirements, and potential IP. This position may develop prototypes and design verification and validation tests that are carried out by less experienced technical personnel, interns, and co-op team members. Highly educated in one or more specific technical skills, this position will work collaboratively with other technical disciplines to analyze, develop, architect, and test novel hardware and software solutions.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
1. Demonstrate the Vermeer characteristics of caring culture, demonstrating agility, customer focused, and stewardship and model the associated behaviors.
2. Develop objective data driven technology reports by design of experiments, managing the investigation process, verification of customer needs / requirements, and validation of technology readiness for product application.
3. Collect, synthesize, and apply in-depth subject matter and current research data to investigate and communicate capability, constraints, and risk associated with applying new technologies to Vermeer new product developments.
4. Provide technical leadership for high-complexity technology investigative projects, including project management, task management, and mentoring of less-experienced engineers. May include direct reports.
Education and/or Experience
– 4-year college degree in the field of Computer Science, Software, Mechanical, Electrical or Aerospace Engineering with a minimum of 2 years related experience.
– Or other 2 or 4-year college degree with a minimum of 7 years related experience.
– Proficient in describing control system requirements using a variety of methods and tools, including visual modeling tools, control diagrams, schematics, C or other embedded programming languages, and/or SolidWorks.
– Strong proficiency in scientific data analysis and use of software tools and technologies to perform analysis such as Python, Matlab, SAS/STAT, OpenMx/R.
Other Skills and Abilities
– Experience with navigational sensors including GPS, accelerometers, magetometer, gyroscopes and fusion algorithms.
– Familiarity with robotics and control system theory.
– Familiarity with perception sensors including, LIDAR, Cameras, and RADAR.
– Familiarity with data acquisition hardware and software.
– Familiarity with Linux operating system.
– Familiarity with system engineering processes.
– Experience with test equipment such as power supplies, oscilloscopes, and signal generators.
– Ability to maintain a positive, professional relationship when working with co-workers, customers and the public.
– Demonstration of good verbal and written communication skills.
– Ability to prioritize multiple tasks while maintaining a high level of attention to detail.
– Ability to influence others that do not report to the position to produce results.
For more information, click here.