The Director of Technical Customer Support will be responsible for developing and implementing a strategy to optimize the Workiva B2B customer support experience. The Director of Technical Customer Support will lead all escalation-tier support teams to deliver high levels of customer satisfaction and reduce customer effort through an omni-channel experience.
- Continually review operational performance to determine opportunities for improvement
- Build and provide 24×7 Follow-the-Sun Support by coordinating with counterparts in EMEA and APAC
- Provide leadership and ownership of major critical incidents and escalations – coordinating with Incident Management and R&D teams to resolve issues and deliver feedback to customers when required
- Create and present key support metrics to senior leadership, and highlight any points of concern or areas of improvement
- Recruit, train and develop a competent team. Train team members in the use of industry best practices, established methodologies and documented procedures for new and emerging solutions
- Assess performance, develop improvement plans, and implement solutions to drive continuous improvement for customer support
- Collaborate with our Product and Engineering teams to resolve complex technical issues, document product bugs and influence our product roadmap
- Act as a liaison between Engineering, Customer Support & Customer Success on issues affecting customers
- Provide strong leadership and strategic vision to Team Managers to help them become successful in leading effective teams
- Build, document and deploy tools and processes to enable higher tier support, and hire/develop more senior engineers to self- sufficiently deliver and fix issues without need for escalation to Developer teams
- Create and deliver internal business cases for additional software or tooling required by the team
- Run projects effectively and ensure the success of hitting target delivery dates
- Develop customer escalation processes to address high impact customer escalations
- Oversee regular operational reviews, including performance reporting and continuous improvement progress.
- Define, track and report on key performance indicators to determine support effectiveness and efficiency
- Create and maintain a culture that aligns with our values and gives every team member an opportunity to do their best work
What You’ll Need
- Undergraduate Degree or equivalent combination of education and experience in a related field.
- ANALYTICAL: Strong analytical and numerical skills, and the ability to think in a structured way
- TECHNICAL: Strong understanding of SaaS-based technologies, query languages, infrastructure and networking architecture – as well the ability to communicate technical feedback with non-technical recipients
- SELF-MOTIVATION: Ability to identify problems, and lead the collaborative charge to solve them
- PROJECT MANAGEMENT: Ability to multi-task, strong project management & decision-making skills
- INFLUENCE: Strong leadership, presentation & influencing skills; the ability to engage key stakeholders
- Demonstrated track record of building a world-class technical support team or organization for a SaaS platform
- Proven ability to effectively prioritize & escalate customers’ issues in order to resolve them quickly
- Demonstrated experience working with cross-functional stakeholders to address high impact support topics and customer feedback
- Sound understanding of organizational goals including SLA’s, CSAT, Operational Metrics, and overall Customer Experience improvements.
- Good understanding of People and Process Management
- Extensive experience with defining and optimizing process and tooling improvements to enhance the customer and partner support life-cycle, including the use of innovative technologies and integrations
- 2+ years of experience as a Director of Technical Support or similar
- 5+ years of experience with a software product company
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Software Engineering, or Computer Science from an accredited institution preferred.
- Sound business judgment and the ability to make quick decisions under pressure in ambiguous circumstances, balancing advocacy with a need for action
- Proven experience of building and executing strategies in line with company objectives
- 25% travel
Working Conditions & Physical Requirements
- Reliable internet access for any period of time working remotely, not in a Workiva office.
Where You’ll Work
Our values drive how we work and who we hire. You will see these values ingrained in how we support our customers, work with team members, build our products and in the work environment we’ve created.
- Customer Success: Always delight our customers.
- Trust: Rely on each other.
- Integrity: Do the right thing, every time.
- Collaboration: Share resources and work together.
- Innovation: Keep creating solutions and finding better ways.
- Inclusion: Support a diverse community where we all belong.
- Accountability: Be responsible for your success and failure.
We believe our people are our greatest asset, and our unique culture gives employees the opportunity to make an impact everyday. We give our employees the freedom and resources they need—backed by our culture of collaboration and diverse thought—to continue innovating and breaking new ground. We hire talented people with a wide range of skills and experiences who are eager to tackle some of today’s most challenging problems.