The Director of Data Science will lead a team of Data Scientists in the application of statistics, machine learning, programming, data modeling, simulation, and/or advanced mathematics to explore data, recognize patterns & trends, and make value-add data discoveries to facilitate the achievement of business goals. This is a leadership role with a significant external and client-facing focus and will involve meeting with clients, designing presentations, and working with the sales team. This role will also be involved with the company’s product and services team and R&D in developing and overseeing implementation of new innovations.
What You’ll Do
- Executes the product-driven Data Science roadmap, working with leaders cross-functionally to identify where Data Science can drive impact.
- Leads a team of data scientists who are a recognized authority in devising technical strategies for processing, analyzing, and interpreting operational data.
- Champions and evangelizes a data-driven culture and long-term business value creation through the development of data science capabilities
- Provides subject-matter expertise to design, develop, and evaluate predictive models and advanced algorithms that lead to optimal value extraction from the data.
- Coaches the team to frame complex data analytics problems and structure clean and concise presentations to establish alignment with the leadership teams and encourage adoption of those insights.
- Leads the development and implementation of solutions to extract, consolidate, and analyze key, complex information from unstructured, diverse, “big data” sources to generate insights.
- Builds machine learning models through all phases of development, from design through training, evaluation, validation, and implementation.
- Regularly shares data insights with management and provides recommendations on ‘best in class’ approaches to leverage data in support of business objectives.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge of data science innovations and trends through research, networking, and membership/participation in relevant organizations.
What You’ll Need
- Undergraduate Degree or equivalent combination of education and experience in a related field.
- Master’s degree in related field preferred
- Related fields may include Computer Science, Engineering, Math, Finance, or Statistics
- Excellent communication (verbal and written) and interpersonal skills including the ability to effectively communicate statistical concepts to business, technical, and executive teams
- Proficiency in machine learning algorithms such as multi-class classifications, decision trees, support vector machines and deep learning
- Familiar with natural language processing, text mining, machine learning techniques and cloud computations
- Ability to collaborate effectively across multiple teams and stakeholders, including analytics teams, development teams, product management and operations
- Strong ability to conceptualize complex data structures for dual stacks of data flow and business models in order to guide the team to be comprehensive on their analytics
- Ability to lead team of data science/ML professionals
- 7+ years of relevant experience in data science roles, including acquiring data, modeling, and consuming statistical models using relevant tools or comparable experience applying statistical solutions to business outcomes.
- 2 years experience in a leadership/managerial role of ML teams that design and build highly scalable distributed models and strategic roadmaps
- Expert knowledge and experience in data mining, SQL, ETL, etc. and using databases in a business environment with large-scale, complex datasets
- Extensive knowledge of and direct experience with major ML libraries in Python and R. Proficient git
- Extensive experience with statistical approaches and their limitations
- Strong business acumen as well as data science fundamentals and a proven track record of building data and analytics products
- Less than 20%
Working Conditions & Physical Requirements
- Reliable internet access for any period of time working remotely, not in a Workiva office.
How You’ll Be Rewarded
- Base Pay Range in Colorado: $186,000 – $234,000
- A discretionary bonus typically paid annually
- Restricted Stock Units granted at time of hire
The base pay range represents the low and high end of the hiring range for this job. Actual pay will vary and may be above or below the range based on various factors including but not limited to relevant skills, experience, and capabilities.