The position leads teams of scientists based in Ames, Iowa, that identify and develop ways for the control of bacterial diseases, in veterinary species. The incumbent is accountable for the discovery and development of novel entities, as well as the initiation and support of opportunities for life cycle management, treatment and control of bacterial diseases.
The position will report to the head of Research and will develop and manage the Bacterial Disease Research Plan in collaboration with all other Innovation Division (ID) functions (BIAH, BI Human Pharma and external collaborators), aligned with ID governance processes, and the long term Animal Health business strategy. The incumbent will also lead and manage the appropriate life cycle management activities collaborating with global strategic marketing.
As an employee of Boehringer Ingelheim, you will actively contribute to the discovery, development and delivery of our products to our patients and customers. Our global presence provides opportunity for all employees to collaborate internationally, offering visibility and opportunity to directly contribute to the companies’ success. We realize that our strength and competitive advantage lie with our people. We support our employees in a number of ways to foster a healthy working environment, meaningful work, diversity and inclusion, mobility, networking and work-life balance. Our competitive compensation and benefit programs reflect Boehringer Ingelheim’s high regard for our employees.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Participate as an active member of the Animal Health Research Leadership team to set and implement ID Research ID strategy.
- Proactively develop, refine, implement and execute the Bacterial Disease strategy for BIAH, as well as provide regular updates to ID leadership. Ensure technical approaches are implemented that lead to a high scientific quality, robust and innovative pipeline. Ensure the pipeline progresses within agreed upon timeline, budgets, and according to BI standards.
- Act as thought leader/expert within and across functions, is recognized as an globally recognized scientist and develop a strong network of internal and external collaborators. Will support all BIAH R&D functions, Business Development, and Global Strategic Marketing as needed to ensure the success of the BIAH business franchises moving forward.
- Maintain contact with universities, private research institutions, government laboratories, producers and producer’s associates on relevant bacteriology matters to identify new development opportunities and market support including life cycle management.
- Publish and present research results as appropriate to facilitate the objectives of BIAH.
- Supports filing of appropriate IP to expand and protect the BIAH portfolio and supports actions to defend existing IP.
- Provide leadership, development, strategic direction, for all personnel within their organization.
- PhD (or equivalent) in the Life Sciences or Bacteriology from an accredited institution, with at least ten (10) years of relevant experience in pharmaceutical and or vaccine discovery and development.
- Ten to twenty (10-20) years of experience in bacteriology research activities and or the discovery and development of vaccines and new chemical entities to prevent and control bacterial diseases.
- At least five (5) years previous experience with leadership and management of direct reports and technical teams globally.
- Excellent working knowledge of vaccine and pharmaceutical discovery and research, including vaccine development, NCE screening, models, and processes
- Possess a deep understanding of both basic science, project leadership and the performance and needs of bacterial control products on the Animal Health market.
- Thorough understanding of the pharmaceutical and vaccine discovery process including development and application of relevant targets and screens to help establish structure activity relationships.
- Appropriate knowledge of vaccine development and an excellent understanding of relevant biological principles.
- Ability to establish, manage and lead internal and external teams of qualified professionals.
- Ability to understand, influence and motivate personnel in a matrix organization and be able to work efficiently under pressure.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Fluency in English is mandatory.
Desired Experience, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to communicate in another language such as French or German is beneficial.
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States without restriction.
- Must be willing to take a drug test and post-offer physical (if required).
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
Who We Are:
At Boehringer Ingelheim we create value through innovation with one clear goal: to improve the lives of patients. We develop breakthrough therapies and innovative healthcare solutions in areas of unmet medical need for both humans and animals. As a family owned company we focus on long term performance. We are powered by 50.000 employees globally who nurture a diverse, collaborative and inclusive culture. Learning and development for all employees is key because your growth is our growth.
Want to learn more? Visit boehringer-ingelheim.com and join us in our effort to make more health.
Boehringer Ingelheim, including Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals, Inc., Boehringer Ingelheim USA, Boehringer Ingelheim Animal Health USA Inc., Boehringer Ingelheim Animal Health Puerto Rico LLC and Boehringer Ingelheim Fremont, Inc. is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race; color; creed; religion; national origin; age; ancestry; citizenship status, marital, domestic partnership or civil union status; gender, gender identity or expression; affectional or sexual orientation; pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition; physical or psychiatric disability; veteran or military status; domestic violence victim status; genetic information (including the refusal to submit to genetic testing) or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
– Research & Development
– US-Boehringer Ingelheim Animal Health
View page here: