The AV Engineer helps ensure that individuals within the Workiva organization have the communication and presentation resources required to facilitate effective collaboration. Also assists in live productions such as webinars, all-company meetings, and off-site events. This position works with employees across all levels of the organization and helps serve as the conduit for both intra- and inter-office presentations and communication needs. Key responsibilities for the AV Engineer include the installation, monitoring, operation, and maintenance of presentation equipment and systems as well as conference and meeting rooms; technical specification discovery; and providing technical expertise for event production. The AV Engineer helps research and recommend equipment and technologies that would promote efficiencies and cost savings to the communications platforms within the company.
Equipment / Systems Monitoring and Maintenance:
- Actively maintains and monitors equipment and systems utilized for presentations and conferencing
- Provides all in-room computer and AV support, including connectivity and wireless internet access.
- Helps to create workflows and designs for daily operations of infrastructure technology
- Installs, Maintains, upgrades, and provides operational support for video teleconferencing, video display systems, and peripheral equipment
- Ensures conference rooms and their component conferencing and presentation systems and peripherals are checked regularly
- Identifies when systems are working outside of expected parameters and takes action to restore proper operating functionality and escalates issues as needed.
- Works with AV team and greater IT team to ensure the connectivity of interoffice communication systems.
- Assists with the production of live events such as webinars, all-company meetings, and off-site events
- Creates and maintains daily operations of streaming broadcasts, including all technology, connectivity, and infrastructure/networking associated
- Helps facilitate pre-production logistics to validate appropriate technical resources are available
- Performs or facilitates setup and operation of audio-visual equipment at presentations, live broadcasts, on-demand recordings, training and off-site venues
- Tests setup pre-event, anticipates failure points and develops and implements alternative solutions
- Records, produces and stores presentation events
- Edits basic motion video production footage, and sound recordings for the post-production process
- Performs basic editing of recorded content on non-linear editing stations
- Stores and delivers projects when complete
Technical Specification Discovery and Support:
- Assists stakeholders in identifying appropriate technical solutions for presentation events; provides technical support for audio-visual equipment as required
- Receives feedback from internal stakeholders to assist in identifying technical needs, and facilitating production plans and redirecting action plans as needed
- Helps identify technical requirements for presentation events
- Assists with troubleshooting of audio-visual equipment
- Helps research new equipment and technologies to recommend efficiencies and cost savings
Vendor/Consultant Relationship Management:
- Helps represent the company in working with audio-visual and multimedia vendors, while being a point of contact to assist with AV initiatives and priorities
- Help analyze vendor/consultant documentation and provide modifications, recommendations, and design schematics as needed
- Helps provide technical road maps for future scalability and provide documentation for enterprise impact
- Works alongside senior team members and Information Technology to help manage vendor requests and quotes
What You’ll Need
- Working knowledge of industry standards and codes
- Extensive knowledge of audio/visual solutions, such as boardrooms, projectors, digital signage, network systems, and audio DSP, required
- Must have significant knowledge and experience with wired or wireless data networks required to support video conferencing, VOIP audio conferencing, streaming technology, and control system networking
- Drafting experience using AutoCAD, or similar drafting software, desirable
- Infrastructure cabling, ability to terminate and solder, and internal wiring understanding, desirable
- Ability to connect and troubleshoot analog and digital audio visual equipment
- Knowledge of visual and sound production software programs, including – among others: Adobe Premiere, Adobe Audition, and Apple Final Cut Studio, preferred
- Working knowledge of audio peripherals and the ability to connect and troubleshoot
- Possess critical thinking and analytical skills with an ability to evaluate complex problems and issues quickly and accurately in order to recommend or take the most appropriate course of action
- Ability to think strategically, make collaborative decisions and perform risk analysis
- Ability to balance priorities in order to meet multiple requirements and deadlines while ensuring priority objectives receive proper emphasis
- Ability to accept change and adapt to organizational change and shifting priorities
- Ability to communicate quickly, clearly, concisely, appropriately, and intelligently; must foster open communication, speak with impact, and listen to others
- Good interpersonal skills with an ability to work well with others in teams and collaborative work situations
- High School Diploma or equivalent combination of education and experience in a related field.
- Preferred 1-2 years of experience in audio-visual installation/production
Working Conditions & Physical Requirements
- This job requires in-person work at a Workiva office site. Workiva has mandated that all employees who perform their jobs onsite be vaccinated against COVID-19. We are required to consider requests for exemptions based on a medical condition or sincerely held religious belief.
- There may be a requirement to work a flexible schedule, possible long hours, and various weather conditions
- Ability to bend, stoop and lift 30 pounds on a regular basis and up to 70 pounds on an occasional basis
- Reliable internet access for any period of time working remotely, not in a Workiva office.