There are over 7 billion people on this planet. And by 2050, there will be 2 billion more… many moving into urban centers at an unprecedented rate. Making sure there is enough food, fiber and infrastructure for our rapidly growing world is what we’re all about at John Deere. And it’s why we’re investing in our people and our technology like never before! Here the world’s brightest minds are tackling the world’s biggest challenges. If you believe one person can make the world a better place, we’ll put you to work. RIGHT NOW.
John Deere is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regards to, among other things, race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Primary Location: United States (US) – Iowa – Ames
Function: Product Engineering
Title: Part-Time Student-Technical Product Engineering-Ames IA – 101857
Note: Relocation assistance is not provided.
The Part-Time Student Program is primarily designed to augment the Company’s regular full-time staff and is for students who work in parallel to their school schedule YEAR-ROUND.
As a Part-Time Student-Technical Product Engineering for JDTIC Ames-Sprayer Lab located in Ames, IA, you will…
- Effectively communicate and work in a team environment
- Propose or evaluate design solutions for technology development & advanced R&D
- Create design concepts in CAD (Creo, ProE)
- Develop dynamic performance specifications using simulation (MATLAB, Simscape, Simulink)
- Test design concepts in lab tests or in field environments on prototype equipment
- Apply technical knowledge to identify and resolve design weaknesses
- Validate offboard data to ensure data quality
This position is not available to students on immigration visas.
What Skills You Need
- Ideally you will be pursuing a degree in Software Engineering or other engineering field; others may apply
- Must be registered as a full-time student at Iowa State University
- Graduation date of May 2025 or later
- Cumulative GPA of 2.8 or above
- Available to work during the academic year 12-20 hours/weekly
- Available to work during the summer semester 35-40 hours/weekly
- Must be able to commute to the primary work location in Ames, Iowa, on a daily basis year-round. Also, must be able to commute to the John Deere Des Moines Works facility in Ankeny, Iowa, as needed.
- Programming experience (MATLAB, C++, Python, Visual Basic, Arduino, Raspberry Pi)
What Makes You Stand Out
- Mechanical system aptitude / hands-on mechatronics experience
- Effective communication skills both oral and written
- Knowledge or work experience in production agriculture (specifically tillage, planters, and sprayers)
- Experience in product engineering (product design, product testing, software testing)
- 3D modeling experience (Creo preferred)
NOTE: For Iowa State University Engineering students, this assignment will qualify for an ISU co-op position working 20 hours per week.
At John Deere, you are empowered to create a career that will take you to where you want to go while working in an inclusive team environment. Here, you’ll enjoy the freedom to explore new projects, the support to think outside the box and the advanced tools and technology that foster innovation and achievement. Additionally, we offer a comprehensive reward package to help you get started on your new career path, including:
- Flexible work arrangements
- Highly competitive base pay and performance bonuses
- Savings & Retirement benefits (401K and Defined Benefit Pension)
- Healthcare benefits with a generous company contribution in the Health Savings Account
- Adoption assistance
- Employee Assistance Programs
- Tuition assistance
- Fitness subsidies and on-site gyms at specific Deere locations
- Charitable contribution match
- Employee Purchase Plan & numerous discount programs for personal use