Location: Ames, IA, US, 50010
Company: John Deere
There are 7 billion people on this planet. And by 2050, there will be 2 billion more… many moving into urban centers at an unprecedented rate. Making sure there is enough food, fiber and infrastructure for our rapidly growing world is what we’re all about at John Deere. And it’s why we’re investing in our people and our technology like never before in our 175-year history. Here the world’s brightest minds are tackling the world’s biggest challenges. If you believe one person can make the world a better place, we’ll put you to work. RIGHT NOW.
Primary Location: United States (US) – Iowa (US-IA) – Ames
Function: Product Engineering
Title: Year-Round Intern – DSM Intern – Ames, IA – 48590
- You will work with Deere to model a tractor and implement system to explore potential design solutions to improve performance in the field. This modeling work will include modeling the vehicle dynamics of the tractor and implement and the performance of various powertrain components like an infinitely variable transmission (IVT), an electric IVT (eIVT), electric motors, inverters, and other components necessary to predict performance.
- To model the vehicle dynamics, you will help develop tire/soil models and terrain topography. You will be involved with aerial topography measurements using drones.
- To model the interaction with the environment, you will help develop a virtual environment including field, plant, and human objects. You will be involved with exploring the simulation fidelity needed for training Artificial Intelligence (AI) classifiers.
What It Takes
- Ideal Background: Graduate student, experience with advanced simulation methods.
- Background in machine design, powertrain design, controls, Virtual Reality, robotics, drones or gaming engines.
- Experience with Dynamic System Simulation (DSM) analysis tools or other simulation tools (for example Matlab Simulink/SimScape, Amesim, Modelica, or others)
- Interest in numerical methods, programming or computer simulation
- Engineering student in Mechanical or Agricultural Engineering
- Must be registered as a full-time student at Iowa State University
- Must be able to commute to the work location on a daily basis
- Cumulative GPA of 2.8/3.0 or above
- 16 – 20 hours/week during the academic year
- 35 – 40 hours/week during the summer semester
What You’ll Get
At John Deere, you are empowered to create a career that will take you to where you want to go. Here, you’ll enjoy the freedom to explore new projects, the support to think outside the box and the advanced tools and technology that foster innovation and achievement. We offer comprehensive relocation and reward packages to help you get started on your new career path. Click here to find out more about our Total Rewards Package.
The information contained herein is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and qualifications required of individuals performing the job. The qualifications detailed in this job description are not considered the minimum requirements necessary to perform the job, but rather as guidelines.
John Deere is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, among other things, race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Nearest Major Market: Ames
Nearest Secondary Market: Des Moines
Job Segment: Intern, Agricultural, Engineer, Machinist, Summer Internship, Entry Level, Agriculture, Engineering, Manufacturing