The Sous Chef is an integral, collaborative member of the Café leadership team responsible for advancing the department’s mission and strategy to provide first-class food and beverage offerings and a upscale casual experience to fellow employees at the Ames, Iowa campus of Workiva.
The Sous Chef participates in and expedites actual food preparation, fills in for and assists team members as needed to facilitate the consistent smooth running of food production areas. Working very closely with the Executive Chef the Sous Chef plans menus and develops recipes, collaborates with the Kitchen Manager to ensure necessary inventory of products and supplies are available and drives adherence to recipes and product specifications.
What You’ll Do:
- Supervise Kitchen Staff: Provide direction to kitchen staff, manages day-to-day performance of work, ensures productivity, guides toward the team goals and resolves problems as necessary
- Lead by example, demonstrating professionalism, high energy, teamwork and collaboration
- Train and cultivate staff’s talents; mentor, coache, gives support, guidance and appropriate instruction
- Give direction to and oversee the work of the Kitchen Manager, Line Cooks and Dishwasher, executing the directives of the Executive Chef
- Develop Menus and Recipes: In conjunction with the Executive Chef, plan menus and develop recipes that appeal to customers, incorporate local seasonal ingredients and flavors and meet upscale casual standards
- Research and develop innovative recipes
- Collaborate with the Kitchen Manager to ensure necessary inventory of products and supplies are ordered and on hand
- Train kitchen staff on all new menu items
What You’ll Need:
- 5 years experience in a kitchen environment required; in fast-paced, high-volume upscale casual restaurant setting preferred
- 3 years experience as a Sous Chef in casual or upscale casual restaurant preferred
- High school diploma required; associates or bachelor’s degree in culinary arts or hotel/restaurant management preferred, or appropriate combination of education and experience
- Familiarity with ServSafe standards preferred; ServSafe Certification a plus
- Previous kitchen management or supervisory experience preferred
- Experience in preparing fresh, made-from-scratch menu items necessary
- Experience with menu planning and recipe development
- Must demonstrate passion for and commitment to superior customer service
- Desire to serve the highest quality food
- Ability to demonstrate strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Must be able to work successfully under pressure and maintain a positive and professional attitude and able to shift priorities as necessary
- Must be able to work in a physically demanding environment with the ability to stand for prolonged periods of time and ability to lift up to 50 lbs
Where You’ll Work:
Workiva, the leading cloud provider of connected data, reporting, and compliance solutions, is used by thousands of enterprises across 120 countries, including more than 75 percent of Fortune 500® companies, and by government agencies. Our customers have linked over five billion data elements to trust their data, reduce risk, and save time. Workiva employs more than 1,200 people with offices in 16 cities.
We firmly believe our people are our greatest assets, and our unique culture gives employees the opportunity to not only make a difference, but BE the difference. Employees at Workiva develop and provide cutting-edge solutions and services to the business market. We hire smart, talented people with a wide range of skills who are hungry to tackle some of today’s most challenging problems. Workiva offers a creative culture and open-minded leadership. We want you to thrive, which is why we provide you with perks like:
- Fantastic Benefits: With coverage starting day one, choose from competitive health, dental, and vision plans on the largest physician networks available.
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan: Purchase company stock at a 15% discounted rate.
- Casual Dress: Workiva has a casual work environment, most people wear jeans to the office.
- Work-life Balance: Start with 40 hours of paid time off on your first day, accruing up to 120 in your first year and increases based on years of service. Many departments allow team members to work remotely on an as needed basis.
- Health & Wellness: Need a break? Hit the relaxation room, or take a bike ride.
- Extras: Free healthy snacks and drinks, Friday social hours with stocked fridges, awesome team outings, and even four dog-friendly offices (Ames, Bozeman, Missoula and New York City).
- Learn more: https://www.linkedin.com/company/workiva/life/