Vertex Software is searching for a Senior Software Engineer – Back-End to deliver a world class 3D collaboration experience to our customers. Work with our team to ensure our product has a high availability, high scalability, and a highly secure data layer. We care deeply about code quality and elegant engineering, so we need your expertise in best practices and technology. You will be solving exciting scale challenges where our product meets its underlying cloud infrastructure. You will need to be comfortable empowering your fellow team members to own their code, guiding standards for production, and getting your own hands dirty.
- Active leader on developing scalable, high quality services, and data layers
- Have functioned in a tech lead role for a team
- Experience working with multiple data storage systems (SQL, NOSQL)
- Knowledgeable in managing production workloads over sensitive and mission critical systems
- Familiarity with industry best practices for data security, reliability, and performance
- Understanding of distributed systems
- Skilled in performance engineering and debugging
- Familiar with multiple API design paradigms
- Passionate about designing the best architectural patterns and tools that other engineers will use
- Dedicated to testing your code inside-out. A feature isn’t done until it’s tested with automation
- Driven to work in a fast paced startup environment
- Humble but willing to fight for the best ideas, even if they might not be yours
What you will do:
- Be an active leader in the development of scalable back-end services, functions, and data store interactions across a wide number of use cases
- Solve difficult problems with multiple representations, cross data indexing, data replication, persistent data structures, immutable data, and more
- Work with your team to produce customer value through collaborative and sincere engagement, including with Product, Quality, UI/UX, Customer Success, and Vertex leadership teams
- Innovate by exploring new technologies and incorporating them into our stack to help us build better products for our customers
- Mentor and grow your teammates
- Focus on continual quality improvement and best test practices to deliver a high quality product
- Review other people’s code
- Balance product performance with resource allocation for maximum scalability
What you need to succeed
- Bachelor’s degree in Management Information Systems, Software Development, Engineering, Computer Science, or equivalent work experience
- Demonstrated success building SaaS products in a cloud environment
- 5+ years of experience delivering product value in a Back-End or Full-Stack role
- 2+ years working with production cloud deployments (AWS experience is a plus)
- Great communication skills
What would really excite us:
- Previous Docker and microservice architecture experience
- A background or hobbies related to our target market (CAD, mechanical engineering, physical products)
- An understanding of rendering and visualization techniques
- A background in data structures and distributed data consistency paradigms
- Comfortable working on the client side as needed
- Experience working on an enterprise SaaS products
- Experience working in an agile environment
About the team, tools and tech:
- Our leadership fosters a “people first” culture and are serious about growing and mentoring every employee. We believe that supporting and investing in our people is one of the smartest things we can do.
- Our teams are organized as product teams who work cross functionally. Engineers sit next to product managers, UX, leadership, and work towards objectives with diligence and cooperation.
- Teams are responsible for their technology choices and for the uptime of what they build. To support the teams we provide tools like Grafana, OpsGenie, Greylog, and more.
- We are an enterprise SaaS company built on top of the best AWS has to offer. Everything from S3, Elastic search, Elastic cache, RDS, and more.
- Our primary data store technologies are DynamoDB, SQL based RDS, Cassandra, S3, and Graph Database technology (TinkerPop)
- We practice infrastructure as code techniques and ship new code to our customers often. Tools we use include Github, Jenkins, Cloudformation, Lambda, and Docker.
About the People
- We have a great mixture of deep technical expertise and broad experience with technology, startups, and building innovative scalable products. We are a diverse group of talented individuals at all stages of life, some who have lived all over the world. We welcome you as you are and are excited to have you as part of the team.
Our Hiring Process:
- At every step of our process we want to emphasize how this is a collaborative exercise for you to get to know us and for us to get to know you. We believe that together we go farther and that having respectful and diverse teams leads to the best outcomes for our people, our product, and the company. Let us know how we can improve. Speak up, ask questions, interview us! We take pride in how our hiring process allows us to make quick decisions and onboard the best talent – no delays and no games.
Vertex Software is shaping the future of product development in manufacturing. Vertex unlocks 3D product data, fueling collaboration throughout product development. Companies quickly and securely share even the most complex designs with the extended enterprise anytime – on any device. Vertex founder and proven entrepreneur, Dan Murray, has grown two prior software companies to $100M+ revenue and executed successful IPOs. This is an amazing opportunity to be part of a rapidly growing company. Vertex is based in Ames, Iowa.
*Vertex does not sponsor employees requiring a work visa at this time
View page here