Our Oncology team is dedicated to delivering breakthrough innovations that extend and improve the lives of cancer patients worldwide. Our team of forward-thinking individuals achieve this through an unwavering commitment to support accessibility to medicine, providing new therapeutic solutions, and collaborating with governments and payers to ensure that people who need medicines have access to them. Our focus is on innovation and launch execution excellence; we translate breakthrough science into innovative medicines that help people with cancer across the globe.
The Oncology Key Account Manager is the primary Oncology point of contact for our Company with large Oncology group practices and integrated delivery networks that have a focus on Oncology and Hematology. This is a critical role in establishing our Company as a leader in Oncology and our commitment to supporting the efforts of Oncology healthcare providers in improving patient health outcomes and becoming a trusted resource in demonstrating value.
The Oncology Key Account Manager will be responsible for calling on large Oncology Group practices and integrated delivery networks in the areas of Great Plains (MN, ND, SD, WI, IA, NE). The candidate must live within the geography.
Primary Activities & Responsibilities will include and are not limited to the following:
- Serves as the primary interface for the Oncology business of the customer account and is responsible for the overall customer experience with Oncology stakeholders in the account.
- For Integrated Delivery Network or multi-specialty accounts, the OKAM will coordinate with the Account Executive who has overall “quarterback” responsibilities for these accounts.
- Establishes relationships and maintains an effective communication network with the customer at multiple levels, including corporate personnel, medical directors in charge of provider networks, quality directors, service line leaders, pharmacy directors and financial directors.
- Conducts internal business strategy discussions and performance reviews routinely to ensure that the Director of Commercial Operations, Customer Team Leader(s), Customer Team Representative(s) and other GHH Personnel understand the customer’s business strategy and appropriately support it at all levels.
- Proactively meets with customers to solicit feedback and adjust plans on a regular basis.
- Provides approved, disease and product information and resources to key decision makers and stakeholders at the executive and implementation level within oncology accounts.
- Maintains knowledge of oncology standards of care and emerging clinical trends, relevant diagnostics, and genetic testing advances and is able to articulate approved, on-label product information related to these topics.
- Understands principles of health economics and the clinical implications. Shares specific customer requests with Medical Affairs point for the account to enable appropriate customer engagement when relevant and aligned to account coverage.
- Understands Oncology specific quality initiatives and discusses them using approved Company resources and messages.
- Develops decision maker relationships in order to support clinical protocol development and care pathway placement with approved, on-label information and resources related to our Company’s products.
- Engages the Medical Affairs personnel as appropriate in order to properly address customer needs.
- Refers requests for off-label information to the headquarters Professional Information Request process.
- Conducts oncology-specific market profiling activities to ensure a deep understanding of regional and local health care delivery, influencers and payer systems by the oncology account team .
- Knowledgeable on health economics information related to population management and quality and engages in discussions of them using approved resources. Shares specific customer requests with the Medical Affairs point for the account to enable appropriate engagement when aligned to account coverage
- Knowledgeable on reimbursement relevant to oncology products and provides approved information related to reimbursement process and support for Merck oncology products.
- Knowledgeable on relevant quality metrics, clinical protocols, care pathways, relative cost of care and P4P initiatives.
- Proactively identifies business opportunities with assigned accounts and leads appropriate coordination of effort by the Oncology account team, e.g. supports contracting pull-through with accounts.
- Understands current state and emerging trends in business operations affecting Oncology practice management such as payer initiatives, approved patient financial assistance offerings, EMR capabilities, and pathway development.
- Gains deep knowledge of each assigned account through internal research and proactive gathering and integration of information from various stakeholders within the account, e.g. business model, relevant business metrics, unique challenges, and strategic goals.
- Develops a breadth of relationships within each account to ensure an understanding of each account’s objectives, goals, and challenges and identifies approved Oncology resources that are aligned to the customer’s needs.
- Account interactions include, but are not limited to, Oncology “c-suite” executives, Oncology service line leaders and decision makers within large Oncology group practices, integrated delivery networks, Oncology institutions, Oncology physicians groups, and other Oncology key stakeholders who directly impact clinical practice.
- Sets vision, objectives, strategies and plan for use of approved tactics by Oncology account team members, focused on mutual goals of addressing customer’s aligned needs, achieving business objectives, and improving patient health outcomes.
- Coordinates effectively with other GHH personnel to bring approved Company information and resources to Oncology decision makers in assigned accounts.
- Demonstrates commitment to compliance through understanding of regulations and policies that govern customer interactions and consistent focus on ensuring compliance with them.
- Demonstrates leadership among peers by consistently communicating a clear and appropriate strategy for each assigned account and ensuring the efficient and effective use of approved Company resources and personnel to achieve business objectives consistent with our Company’s policies and become a trusted resource for the customer to help improve patient health outcomes.
- Develops and leads an integrated Oncology approach for product launch within each account. Proactively engages account team members to plan, effectively implement and evaluate launch activities within accounts.
- Consistently maintains a future focus on emerging trends and patient care needs in oncology, uncovering and reporting underlying issues that may inform broad or account-specific strategies.
Required Education Minimum, Experience and Skills Requirement:
- Bachelor’s degree (BA or BS)
- Minimum of 2 years’ current/recent experience in oncology field working with key thought leaders and/or influential customers in large group practices, hospitals, or managed care organizations
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in pharmaceutical industry
- Strong understanding of the Oncology therapeutic area and the current Oncology marketplace
- Keen interpersonal skills, including abilities to interact with individuals from a variety of backgrounds and to influence senior levels of management, key thought leaders, and customers
- Strong presentation and training skills, including the ability to understand, distill, and communicate complex scientific and public health-related concepts to diverse audiences
- Strong peer leadership and ability to collaborate with and coordinate activity among individuals in different reporting structures across a matrix organization
- Strong prioritization skills and ability to understand how decisions fit into the broader context of corporate strategies
- Technologically-proficient (e.g., MS Office Suite, iPad)
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Advanced degree (e.g., MBA, PharmD)
- People Management experience in healthcare industry
- Work experience in variety of strategic and executional pharmaceutical or health care roles (e.g., sales, marketing, account management, operations, market research
Our Human Health Division maintains a “patient first, profits later” ideology. The organization is comprised of sales, marketing, market access, digital analytics and commercial professionals who are passionate about their role in bringing our medicines to our customers worldwide
Who we are …
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, New Jersey, USA is known as “Merck” in the United States, Canada & Puerto Rico. We are known as “MSD” in Europe, Middle East, Africa, Latin America & Asia Pacific. We are a global biopharmaceutical leader with a diverse portfolio of prescription medicines, oncology, vaccines and animal health products.
We are driven by our purpose to develop and deliver innovative products that save and improve lives. With 69,000 employees operating in more than 140 countries, we offer state of the art laboratories, plants and offices that are designed to Inspire our employees as we learn, develop and grow in our careers. We are proud of our 125 years of service to humanity and continue to be one of the world’s biggest investors in Research & Development.
What we look for …
In a world of rapid innovation, we seek brave Inventors who want to make an Impact in all aspects of our business, enabling breakthroughs that will affect generations to come. We encourage you to bring your disruptive thinking, collaborative spirit and diverse perspective to our organization. Together we will continue Inventing For Life, Impacting Lives while Inspiring Your Career Growth.
NOTICE FOR INTERNAL APPLICANTS
In accordance with Managers’ Policy – Job Posting and Employee Placement, all employees subject to this policy are required to have a minimum of twelve (12) months of service in current position prior to applying for open positions.
If you have been offered a separation benefits package but have not yet reached your separation date and are offered a position within the salary and geographical parameters as set forth in the Summary Plan Description (SPD) of your separation package, then you are no longer eligible for your separation benefits package. To discuss in more detail, please contact your HRBP or Talent Acquisition Advisor.
If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at email@example.com
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
We are an equal opportunity employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran – proudly embracing diversity in all of its manifestations.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully
Merck & Co., Inc., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, also known as Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp., Kenilworth, NJ, USA, does not accept unsolicited assistance from search firms for employment opportunities. All CVs / resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at our company without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of our company. No fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired by our company as a result of an agency referral where no pre-existing agreement is in place. Where agency agreements are in place, introductions are position specific. Please, no phone calls or emails.
Flexible Work Arrangements:
Valid Driving License:
Number of Openings:
View page here