Location: Ames, IA
Job Reference Number: QSUS2019JB299
Join the QualySense journey
QualySense, a young and rapidly growing Swiss company, is reinventing the global soft commodity market by pioneering the proprietary QSorter® technology, a sophisticated high-speed single-kernel robot, which measures the compositional and physical quality of each grain and sorts it accordingly. The QSorter is the result of outstanding R&D in the field of sensing, mechatronics, biochemistry, data processing and life science along with world-known partners such as the United States Department of Agriculture, EMPA, Agroscope, and ETH. The QSorter analyzes grains at very high speed by means of Near Infrared spectroscopy and 2D/3D imaging. The company, founded in 2010, has been awarded a number of prestigious prizes. QualySense reshapes the world of food and agritech with intelligent single grain, seed and bean inspection, and sorting solutions. We are looking for talents that can help us achieve our mission. (Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxhbALd3XIQ).
As an Engineering Technician, you will be part of a special team developing life-science solutions for our American customers and helping them with their technical problems. Your mission will be to tune, configure, maintain and expand the QSorter® platform for the applications the team is focusing on. You will be supporting the development as well as assisting the local customers on their questions and special requests for customization.
In this role you will be facing customer problems and technical issues that might be naturally present in early prototype stage and take the challenge to solve them with a pragmatic and hands-on approach.
We are seeking a motivated, creative but structured technician that is able to work in a multinational and multicultural team leveraging Agile and SCRUM principles. The colleague we are looking for is someone that has passion for quality, care for the customer experience, very well organized and – last but not least – thrilled to be working in an environment characterized by a strong acceleration in business development.
If you are seeking a new challenge, come join our team!
Role & Responsibilities
- Design and build of small subsystem prototypes to validate chosen concepts. Testing of
the prototypes and documentation of results
- Testing of final electro-mechanical design of products, maintenance of CAD drawings
and other technical documentation
- Integration and testing of different sensors, actuators, pumps and other mechanical and
optical parts onto the platform for rapid testing of solutions
- Interfacing and cabling of various hardware/software components
- Assembly and configuration of devices and preparation for internal and customer
validation prior shipment and for Demos
- Maintenance of the team’s laboratory equipment and workspace
- Technical support of local customers in their labs and facilities
- Provide advices to the Solution Team and to teams in the Headquarter when deciding
about technical solutions that would guarantee quality and customer satisfaction
Your Climbing Kit
- Successful completion of a Technical School in subjects like laboratory technician,
mechanical or electrical engineering. Degree from university of applied sciences is a nice
- Good general knowledge of electronics and signal analysis
- Professional experience in industrial environment and mechatronics products/devices.
- Ideally previous experience as a service engineer or technician.
- Proficiency with CAD tools (Solidworks is a plus)
- Ability to see problems and the root cause of it, develop solution and concepts,
implement prototypes and test them
- Excellent manual skills for assembly and tuning electromechanical devices
- Willingness to help the team with ideas and pragmatic solutions
- Ability to work independently and to look for ready-made solutions and suppliers of
- Willingness to share the learnings and discuss about successful solutions with other
colleagues and departments
- Willingness to travel (20% of the time) to different events and demonstrate the
technology to potential clients
- Full professional proficiency in English
- Quick learner and excellent team worker with a strong “can do” attitude
- Motivated and enthusiastic, a naturally driven-to-succeed action-taker
- Nice-to-have abilities/experience/skills:
- Able to probe and debug codes in Matlab, C++ /Structured Text / LabVIEW / Python
- A market competitive salary plus bonus incentives
- Possibility to help shaping the company culture and making QualySense an international
success story. Our story!
- Opportunity to see a direct impact of your work on our products, customers and industry
- Opportunity to learn and educate yourself by interacting with our experts from different
fields or by attending courses which you are highly encouraged to propose
- Be part of a multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural team of highly motivated and talented
engineers and business professionals
- A chance to contribute your ideas and exchange feedback in an open minded and
If you feel attracted by the challenge and you meet the requirements, Dr. Riccardo Tediosi would
be happy to review your application. It must be written in English and sent to
firstname.lastname@example.org in a PDF format, mentioning the job reference number on top of this
page. Incomplete applications will not be considered and replied to.