2625 North Loop Drive, Ames, IA, USA
Vertex is shaping the future of how product development happens in manufacturing. Embracing advances in cloud computing, we’re building solutions to improve the speed and quality of collaboration so teams can make better decisions—and get products to market faster. Vertex founder and proven entrepreneur, Dan Murray, has grown two prior software companies to $100M+ revenue and executed successful IPOs. This is a ground-floor opportunity and part of our effort to expand legal, customer success, marketing, and sales teams in preparation for product launch.
Vertex Software is actively searching for a Contracts Counsel to negotiate contracts directly with Vertex’s customers, requiring in-depth work with an understanding of a variety of different agreements, including software licensing, SaaS, professional services, NDAs, evaluation agreements, and standard terms and conditions.
As a front-line negotiator with Vertex customers, you will find creative solutions that meet both Vertex’s and our customer’s business and legal needs and ensure that the contracts comply with Vertex policy and regulatory requirements. This position requires coordination with various stakeholders and subject matter experts including Legal, Product Marketing, and Accounting and Finance, to help drive transactions to successful completion within the required time frame. You will also maintain and enforce contracting policies including approval procedures for non-standard terms and pricing, assist the sales team with ongoing administration of customer contracts, advise management on contractual terms and risks, and provide training on contract issues and negotiation strategies. You must be adept at using your judgment and making sound decisions quickly to facilitate deal execution while minimizing risk to Vertex’s interests.
- Create and review SaaS subscription agreements, software licenses, data processing agreements, and NDAs
- Draft, review, and negotiate a variety of commercial agreements to support customer sales, our purchase of software and services from vendors, and growth-driven partnerships with both startups and public companies
- Provide input on processes and policies to help drive our growth and capture new learnings
- Provide practical, decisive guidance to Sales, Marketing, Sales Operations, and Product Management teams taking into consideration business objectives, policies, and positions
- Stay up-to-date on relevant industry, commercial, open source, IP, privacy, employment, and other laws, regulations, and developments to give the most relevant advice
- Provide input on contracts management system and contract processes to optimize interactions with our Sales team
- Bachelor’s Degree; J.D.
- 1-3+ years of experience working on commercial contracts either at a law firm or in-house legal department
- Qualified attorney and Member of the Iowa Bar (in good standing) or eligible to register as Iowa Registered In-House Counsel